A remaster of The Wonderful 101
A team of heroes from around the world must unite to protect the earth from vicious alien invaders!
This band of 100 Wonderful Ones works together using their fantastic abilities to create a variety of forms. Whether it be a giant fist or a sharp blade, they'll use their wits and power to overcome the enemy’s pitfalls and perils!
And the final member of this team of courageous heroes - is you.
Reviews View More
The second screen gimmick also does not work at all without a WiiU gamepad. I don't know why they didn't rework this port so it was more compatible with modern systems and controllers.
The drawing mechanic was also so clunky and unresponsive that I had immense difficulty with it. If my line wasn't getting caught up in geometry, then it would extend randomly off-screen, despite my own input. It made pulling out weapons with more complex designs, like the Whip or the Hammer, an actual pain and required multiple tries each time I was forced to bring out those weapons for puzzles or to fight enemies (which is another irritating nitpick). You would think that the original team behind one of the best combat drawing mechanics (Okami) would be able to pull off the mechanic in a better way than this. Even something as simple as cramming heroes into a toilet or open doorway or window to get a collectable could result in some bullshit shenanigans.
It doesn't help that the art style is not to my liking either. I know they were going for an aesthetic similar to Viewtiful Joe - another Super Sentai send-up they had made previously (which I have yet to play as well) - but I still didn't vibe with it all too much.
Taking inspiration from SUPER SENTAI (the original shows that later inspired POWER RANGERS and all the generations of that show.) Wonderful 101 has the same concept of a team of Flamboyant cool suit wearing teams, each with a specific color that later equals to a total of 7 specific members among the Wonderful 100 (yeah they're not called Wonderful 101 up until the literal end of the game).
Causing her team to look at her in dumbstruck like: "Bruh... really". She's funny, but can be a bit over obsessive and hot headed... coming across a bit unlikable. She becomes more heroic and caring, but is still hot headed, doesn't grow a lot in terms of her character.
5. Wonder Yellow - Ivan Istochnikov - Uses Hammer, and speaks like a USSR soldier... saying things like Comrads, or Motherland... a very outdated form of showing a Russian person but oh well. He's kind of absent throughout most of the game, in the sense that... he's there in scenes, but he doesn't say much. Also theres an implication that he's gay which is cool. He's very likable when he speaks, and adorable when he gets flustered, but in terms of impact you'll forget he's there.
7. Wonder Black - Krishna Ramanujan - Uses time bombs and is Indian... the worst member in the entire game. Not once does he every say anything, and when he does he says it in the most boring monotone way possible. I get it, it's hard coming up with personalities, but choosing the unspeaking Kuudere was not a way to go. This dude legit spends time playing games and dancing rather than actually speaking. Is his ability cool? Yes, he makes bombs that STOP TIME, yet as a character, he's as interesting at paint drying.
112 - Wonder Director (Hideki Kamiya himself, and he uses the Special PLATNIUM FOREVER ABILITY)
113 - Wonder Rodin (Rodin the bar tender from Bayonetta)
114 - Wonder Jeanne (Jeanne, Bayonetta's rival and friend)
115 - Wonder Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
You fight in cities, ruins, Inside Vorkken's Body, a volcano, a Hydro-City, a destroyed planet, and finally in space doing mostly the same thing. You collected civilians to both save and have them become temporary heroes to help you own your journey throughout each operations. There are a total of 9 operations but in terms of levels it's 10 levels with 3 acts (called Operations A-B-C) inside each except for in OPERATION 007/Vorkken's Body which only features ACT 1 and 2 (OPERATION 007-A and 007-B)
Occasionally you will have to solve puzzles using character specific abilities:
2. Key Hole - Sword 🗡
3. Target - Gun 🔫
4. Spikes needing to be taken down, or Swinging from area to area - Whip 📈
5. A button or a crack on the ground need SMASHING - Hammer 🔨
6. Shut Tight Door or Enemy Need Opening/Climbing climbable walls- Claws 🦞
7. Object Coming in too fast and needs to be slowed down- Bomb 💣
You have different morph options that you can use the touch screen or right thumbstick to make like:
2. Sword 🗡 - Draw a straight line (line will become blue🔵)
3. Gun🔫 - Draw a straight line that turns sideways left or right (line will become green🟢)
4. Whip📈- Draw a swiggly line going forward (line will become pink💗)
5. Hammer 🔨- Draw a straight line and at the end curve a circle (line will become yellow🟡)
6. Claw🦞- Draw a Z shape (line will become white⚪️)
7. Bomb💣- Draw a complete circle then a straight line after connecting the circle (line will become purple🟣).
8. Goggles🥽- Draw infinity symbol (line will become a bright orange)
9. Bow🏹- Draw a heart shape (line will become a light pink💗)
10. Glider🪂- Draw a Triangle (line will become rainbow colored🌈)
11. Naginata🌟- Draw a straight line - pause - then continue drawing (if done correctly, line should become a dark orange/brown🟤)
12. Drill🐚- Draw a spiral (line should become red🔴)
13. Boomerang 🪃- Draw a straight line - pause - turn right or left and make a straight line going right or left, similar to making a gun but after the straight line, pause then turn (line should become purple🟣).
14. BIG 🅱️ - Draw a letter B (line should become a rainbow🌈)
15. WONDER FOREVER - Draw a Letter W (line should become a rainbow🌈)
16. PLATINUM FOREVER - Draw a Letter P (line should become a rainbow🌈)
The villains are very over the top, and have great designs and fights: however some fights are certainly better than others.
2. Wanna - Flies in a UFO and uses his giant space ship that acts like an Egg to unleash his Dragon-Like Robot with buzzsaws for hands.
3. Vijounne - Blue's brother murder, you fight her while she's inside her giant octopus... and considering her sexy design, I 100% believe the developers knew what they were doing lol.
4. Walltha - Brother of Laambo, you fight him in a very janky and unfun PUNCH-OUT STYLE boss fight where you beat the crap out of his giant Tiki-Head Robot, and later go inside the robot and kill him. Then escape by having him drown in Lava.
5. Gimme - an evil robot alien dude who Like Waltha uses a giant robot to fight you, and you have to again fight in a PUNCHOUT style fight.
6. Jergingha - The true final boss who has 3 stages to his fight. He starts off as a giant brain (Metroid much huh), and later uses a Wonder Mask to become WONDER-Jergingha who has the ability to use giant Wonder Punches and Lasers. And his final form Planet Destruction Jergingha who uses barriers to defend himself, and later uses a destruction beam to attempt to destroy the planet, where you have to SPAM A/X in order to push back the beam destroying him once and for all.
And this results in WONDERFUL 100 destroying Jergingha and the GEATHJERK. The game ends with Wonderful 100 attempting to create a better future in order for the future GEATHJERK to never return and to make sure they set humanity towards the right path.
The game ends the way it started, as in the beginning you start as Will Wedgeworth as a teacher protecting his class in a school bus, getting them to safety and later becoming Wonder Red, meeting Blue and saving the Bus before it crashes into a school. At the end it does the same thing except it shows Luka become WONDER GOGGLES and do the same thing as red, as it ends with the WONDERFUL 101 preparing to fight enemies similar to the beginning of the game.
So these issues cause a drop of 1 star.
4/5 Stars. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️