Kinda wish this was a full game instead of an extra mode, but it's still fun

Bowser's Fury is interesting because despite the base game coming out before Odyssey, this expansion came out after, and it serves as a kind of bridge between the two games. The power ups and controls are the same as 3D World, while the sandbox-style exploration is definitely inspired by Odyssey. The levels are all charming and the various cat-eared creatures might be the cutest enemies I've ever seen. The calm/fury cycle annoyed me - Bowser always seemed to attack at the worst possible times, and it seemed random as to how long each cycle would be. Overall It feels a little weak in some parts, but like any Mario game it's still a fun romp and it's short enough that it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

it's like if you took odyssey and 3D world and took out everything that made both of those games fun

Bowser's Fury is a great filler game, as whilst it's quite short it's still extremely fun and creative, and it demonstrates just how well even the less important Mario games are made. I just hope this game will be the base of what the next Mario game will be like, as the idea of one giant level has a lot of potential.

Game mechanics and platforming is fun and addicting. My grandma enjoys watching the colors, Fury is engaging with great music and environments. I 100%'ed this game for the second time last week.

This is a cute game. It’s pretty short but it’s kind of neat in how it’s structured. I played with my wife and although Bowser Jr. has less depth to play compared to Mario, we both had fun. The Bowser sections of the game are cool when you first experience them, but they get a little tiresome after the first few times. I do think that the game has a lot of charm, and we enjoyed playing it.

Otro increíble plataformas 3D, y de la misma mano de Nintendo otra vez, vaya.
Que decir, mundo con bastantes posibilidades a explorar, Power ups con sus propios usos experimentales, un Bowser bastante amenazador (y cada vez más), una banda sonora muy memorable, etc.
Os juro que lo empato, y mucho, con el mismísimo Super Mario Sunshine. Me alegra que Nintendo se saque algo tan increíble como esta maravilla de vez en cuando, por lo menos.

Bowser’s Fury shares with 3d Land and 3d World (and the 2d Marios) its approach to platforming-based level design: no more seemingly real but totally unfeasible locations, instead every island (or bunch of islands) in the vast ocean is its own level, and close islands share themes. Of course these islands, in classic Nintendo fashion, are not all accessible since the beginning and instead you unlock chunks of the map after fighting Bowser, which requires the player to collect X Shines, creating a gameplay loop similar to Odyssey. This, though, is not the only similarity between both games: they are way more fun if you play them in “unintended” ways, using Mario’s moveset or alternative powerups (or captures) to your advantage, which by the way is not always possible thanks to some gimmicks and requirements.
While Odyssey was more focused on exploration and interaction than actual platforming here there’s only the latter, and it’s quite bland and inoffensive. The world in Bowser’s Fury is mostly empty and navigating between islands is really uninteresting, so the fact that level design mostly relies on repeating the same really short, easy challenges with slight variations is pretty underwhelming. To the uninteresting level design with really scarce threats you have to add the new inventory system, whichs lets you collect as many powerups as you want and use them conveniently, anytime anywhere. This is the reason why the levels involving helicopter blocks (which is not a powerup like in the New Super Mario Bros series) and keys that you have to bring to the beginning of the level, making you traverse it backwards, are by far the most fun in the game. Holding objects ignores active powerups and limits Mario's movement to the basic running and jumping, making the level design way more challenging and expressive, plus flying with the helicopter block across vertical levels with floating buildings, moving platforms and aerial threats is honestly one of the best times I've had with any modern Mario game.
The thing that was supposed to bring everything together and add some spice is the black, giant Bowser who will periodically wake up from his sleep and attack Mario, but instead of surprising you and forcing you to improvise there’s a clear procedure to this whole thing. When he’s about to appear the music changes, the sky turns black and it starts raining. And it happens so often that it turns into a routine. Bowser will jump from one place to the other and throw flames at you while rocks fall from the sky so that you cannot just hide in one spot and wait for him to leave, but after a couple of cycles he will disappear and you can just resume whatever you were doing. In addition, there are blocks with Bowser’s face all over the world hiding Shines (most of the time) and he is the only one who can destroy them, worsening the already washed out encounters and becoming more of a tool than an actual threat. Transforming into the giant Cat Mario and fighting Bowser in order to progress is quite anecdotic and not much different than the usual Mario boss fight: they're bad. I still believe this was a good idea and the variation it brings to your approach of the levels is more than welcome, but it definitely was not the right approach.

To be fair, it's not that I didn't enjoy my time with the game. Everyone knows that jumping is by far the best mechanic in videogames and no one does it better than Mario. But I wish the game was more than the old Mario drowned into a bunch of mechanics and ideas that don't work together nor by themselves.

Really picks up in pace once you give it an hour straight. Bowser constantly present in the end was not my favorite--some really fun platforming areas I totally skipped because they were unplayable with rain/fire/screen shake.
Perfect mix between 3D World and Odyssey. Doesn't overstay its welcome.

Absolutely awesome game. Obviously it's short, but it is packed with content and feels like a stepping stone towards another all-time great Mario game.

Really small and short, but sooo good. Daddy Bowser scarier than ever.

One of the more enjoyable pieces of Mario content the past decade.
While certainly not a perfect experience, much of the platforming can be rudimentary at times, many of the challenges become consistent and thus repetitive across the island, and islands only being able to load 1 to 2 Cat Shines at once is definitely a pain, the overall experience is a rather enjoyable one.
Its a much more cohesive adventure than Odyssey, Cat Shines feel more worthwhile to collect and feel like actual accomplishments, some of the platforming segments offered are still rather enjoyable, the music is pretty great overall, especially any of the Bowser themes, and there's some cute personality in all the cutscenes.
Fury Bowser is this game's main selling point, and it's both some of the game's highest points, but also some of its biggest disappointments. He never feels like he's fully utilized in the gameplay itself. He can take a while to reappear and his apperances can be so short lived, he can be easily warded off by collecting a single shine, and considering there's at least one shine that can only be collected by his Fury Beam, there will be plenty of times you nearly instantly dispatch Fury Bowser by just running over the the blocks before he spawns, having him blast them, and then collecting the shine and he fucks off, making him not really feel like much of a threat. Not to mention that the first three encounters with him will have him so easily dispatched its a little comical.
However, there will be the occasional, rare moment when he appears while you're in the middle of a long platforming segment, and the atmosphere of the sudden lightning storms, his fire beams firing off as you try your best to avoid them, the blocks falling from the sky, and the rush to get to the shine to get him off your back are some of the most enthralling moments in the game, I just wish they were more frequent. I do quite like that there's actual alterations to the platforming when Fury Bowser is at play though, with the falling spikes smashing into the floor and walls creating new platforms or ramps to move around with. Also the theme when he's at play is one of the best tracks in a Mario game. The final battle against Bowser in this game is also likely one of the best Bowser encounters in the entire franchise, which is an extra boost to it's pedigree.
Overall, Bowser's Fury is a very fun, if, flawed experience. Better than Odyssey by several magnitudes imho, but not really worth the price-tag if you've already played 3D World on Wii U, as someone who's played that game 4 times and isn't a huge fan of it, dropping 60 bucks isn't quite worth it for just Bowser's Fury, so I borrowed the game off of a friend for this playthrough.

my only problem with this game is that it's like 3 hours long

I've long asserted that the thing that really made Mario 64 work is that its audience had the time for it. It was a £70 game in 1997, and the 8 year-olds who went wild for it weren't likely to get another one of those until Christmas. They were willing to knock their heads against the wall a million times and lose countless lives to find each new Power Star, and the game thrived under those conditions.
But what if a 3D Mario game was short and light? What if it was a bonus freebie bundled in with another game? That's what Bowser's Fury is, and it's why it works so well.
Bowser's Fury is the Thatcher's Techbase of Super Mario. A dense open world, exploring the full depth of 3D Mario design, and focused directly on the execution of a vicious demonic tyrant. The cat theme might wear thin within the context of a traditional campaign, but it's a constant delight within the few hours the game takes. As much of a treat as it is for longtime fans, it serves as a great introduction to those who aren't so committed to the series.
It's an odd duck this one. Many have seen it as a way to experiment with what Mario can learn from Breath of the Wild. I think it's equally valid to see it as an experiment with what a very wee Mario game could be. Portal has long been held as a standard-bearer for short games, but compared to personal favourites like PaRappa the Rapper and Kirby's Dream Land, that's a fairly meaty game. I'm into this stuff. The success of Bowser's Fury's freeform structure and open level design is heavily owed to its scale. I suspect a full Odyssey-sized game of this would feel pretty drab and repetitive compared to the big Marios, but as a wee bonus for a 3D World rerelease, it's great.
Bowser's Fury is full of wee islands. Each one, a new spin on the platforming. It's kind of like Super Mario Bros. 3, where none of the levels really felt as substantive as those from its series' siblings, but their brievity gave them the freedom to delve into mad stuff with slopes and frog suits. Bowser's Fury is full of wild level design. Areas full of bouncy platforms and slides, invisible obstacles, and giant towers that seem to go on forever. The design of its platforming obstacle sequences is frequently more linear than something like Sunshine or Odyssey, but oddly, it feels less boxed-in and restrained as a result. It feels more like Galaxy, except you can shoot off and do something completely different at any point.
It's odd, but this wee bonus game tacked on to a 3D World rerelease might be one of the most balanced Mario games ever made. The 3D games have always struggled to weigh freedom against the excitement of deliberately designed sequences of hazards and challenges. Bowser's Fury is arguably the first Mario game that feels like every Mario game. It balances the appeal of the NES games with the HD and handheld ones. More casual fans who have been following the series' biggest releases will inevitably be annoyed at the thought that they have to buy 3D World again if they want to try this new spin on the formula, but it's been out for a while now - I'm sure someone will give you a lend if you ask.
There are a lot of dedicated Mario fans who will miss this as a result of being asked to buy the same game twice, and the Wii U owners need every bit of good will that could be sent their way. I don't know why they couldn't just chuck this up on the eShop. This far from launch, it feels like it's slipped into obscurity. I don't think there's a lot of people still finding out about Bowser's Fury. If they're looking for a game to push on young audiences who have just become excited about Mario through the new film, I don't know if there's a better one to hand them. It feels so reflective of all the surrounding games, it could serve as a fantastic gateway. 3D World's not a bad place to go afterwards, but it could just as easily spark interest in Odyssey, Mario Maker 2 or Super Mario World. If this was a £15 download, everyone who owns a Switch would have played it. Time's running out before April, and I'm embarrassed to think that kids who just came out of the Sonic film probably asked their parents for Forces or Colors Ultimate.
I don't know if Bowser's Fury is indicative of the future of Mario games, but I'd hope that whatever comes next can learn from it. It's every reason people like them. I hope a lot more people will play it.

A fun little entry into the Super Mario Bros. saga. Bowser looks so cool! I wish they made a Fury Bowser amiibo. Mastered

Hard to compare to Mario odyssey, but if you have this to someone who hasn’t played odyssey it’s a nice little thing

This game does not have the heart and soul of a Mario game, but everything else is there

While it is a refreshing take on what a new 3d Mario adventure might look like, I think Bowser's Fury feels awkward in places. A lot of the islands levels that you can seemlessly travel to however you often need to leave and come back for some objectives. Fury Bowser was interesting at first, but he became an annoyance later on, often showing up at inconvenient times to prevent you from being able to complete an objective. I also don't think the 3D world control style and powerup system works too well for a more sandbox type of mario game. Your movement options don't feel as flexible as something like Super Mario Odyssey which feels uncomfortable at times for this game. This is likely a result of being a bonus mode for 3D World as opposed to being a standalone game. Overall its an interesting package, and I don't regret buying 3D World again just for this.

I wish there was a game just for this, made it way longer because it was really fun

The only thing holding me back from saying this game is perfect is the fact it's not a standalone game. But I gotta say; if this is any indication on the future of Mario, we're probably gonna see the best virtual experience ever concieved within the next few years

Really fun addon to 3d World, I had a blast.
But sadly it ends too soon.

Bowser's Fury has got to be one of the most cleverly and wonderfully crafted platformer x open world hybrid games I've played by far. Bowsers Fury drops Mario into a mysterious world called Lake Lapcat, an environment filled with obstacle courses, cats, and challenges each island. It's surprisingly well paced with how each provides a series of challenges and nick knacks to discover, on top of a gigantic godzilla type foe looming in the background.
AESTHETICS AND STYLE:
Bowsers Fury integrates the concept of a mysterious island well into the Mario brand, being a bunch of blocky ruins, and landmasses akin to the typical Mario structure, aswell as brimming with life from enemies to silly cats, and the shrubbery. Things turn up a notch as Fury Bowser awakens from his slumber and the atmosphere suddenly changes to dark and danger as the sky turns to black and the world is illuminated by the fiery breath of Fury Bowser, which I think is great!
GAMEPLAY:
Now for the meat and potatoes of this expansion. As said from the beginning, Bowser's Fury is such a wonderfully crafted open world x platformer game, where you're given the freedom to visit each island (you unlocked) and go at it your own pace, aswell as old areas adding new additions and challenge as you return. On top of all this, it's hosted in one singular world, making travel and exploration practically seamless, with quick loading when warping between the islands.
I feel I had to mention this eventually but yes, Bowser's Fury is full of reused 3D World assets, but I feel it's done very tastefully in this game, they're all integrated to the environment or feel like they're built with intention and challenge, paired with original terrain environments, not to mention everything is well sewn into the Mario aesthetic, it feels fresh and unique, utilizing everything the devs have in their toolbox and craft something new out of it.
One of the prominent aspects throughout this whole adventure is this gigantic beast, Fury Bowser, who drops by every few minutes and drops massive stakes, rains fireballs and blast a laser of fire towards you, it adds a feeling of tension whenever you're in a current course but you have this big lad blowing a fuse and firing a beam of destruction around you.
It gets sicker as you claim enough cat shines to scare him away in the meantime, but once you get enough, you unlock the Giga Bell, which allows Mario to absorb it and turn into Giga Cat Mario (practically Super Saiyan Mario) in a raw kaiju battle in the middle of the ruins, as you toss his stakes back and slam on his stakes back and slam him.
MUSIC:
The score is just as whimsical as any other Mario song which is great, I find myself jamming to some of these for a while. One part I do want to mention is bowser's sick theme whenever he drops by, as the soothing world is engulfed in madness and destruction, it's paired with heavy metal and what sounds like an interpretation of Bowser singing, which is so sick to hear!
STORY:
It's a mario game, no one really goes for the story lol.
CRITICISMS:
As wonderful of a package Bowser's Fury is, I do have a few gripes with it, tho are very minor.
- Bowser specific blocks that can only be destroyed when hes around is cool at first but then feels a bit tiresome, as I have to wait for a whole cycle for him to pop back out, to which I'm likely doing something else in the meantime, and couldn't travel back or couldn't remember what spot I specifically want him to strike, and before you know it, he goes back to sleep, so it's sorta optimal to just wait around in idle till he spawns back.
- This criticism carries over to 3D World as lava damage doesn't work like in Odyssey, so touching it is just insta death, I've tried using the invincibility star ability and still die, so that's a bit infuriating on a few puzzles.
- Don't get me wrong, yes Bowser spawning in makes courses much more intense and is overall a cool function but it oftentimes feels a bit bothersome, esp in challenges where I'm sort of struggling and want my peace. It also does feel a bit repetitive. It's also extremely bothersome late game where he just doesn't leave, making the cats I'm trying to retrieve constantly evil, or just generally obstructing, so I choose to die to reset Bowser.
- Performance issues aplenty, especially as you unlock more of the world and in 2nd play, as more assets or environments are loaded, the switch is really huffing and puffing out those frames as the slowdown occurs everytime Fury Bowser pops in, it's much apparent when going for the Lucky Isle shines, but generally yeah, the performance tanks a bit here and there late game.
- Overworld bosses are an absolute breeze, I mean I don't really go or expect super challenging bosses in Mario, but they are super easy to deal with, it's more of a minigame than a boss if anything, which I guess is just general Mario bosses (Fury Bowser's boss is fun tho)
FINAL THOUGHTS:
Bowser's Fury is a delightful take on open world Mario, integrating Mario's platforming aspect well into the seamless world design, a well paced adventure that's just the right amount of length (personally), and just an overall charming product, if I were to rate this, it'd be an 8/10, great stuff!

The game was short, but I don't mind this because it's clear Nintendo was testing the design space for an open-world Mario game. I believe the experiment paid off, but I do have some concerns.
Like Mario Odyssey, the objectives for Cat Shines (the equivalent to Odyssey's moons) were repeated too often. It's a bigger problem here since Bowser's Fury is a lot shorter than Odyssey. In addition, the Fury Bowser gimmick wasn't fully fleshed out. It was an interesting idea, but he wasn't as threatening as I imagine Nintendo thought he would be. This is because his attacks are very easy to avoid, the penalty for dying is only 50 coins, and Bowser goes back to sleep after only a couple minutes. Also, screw those Cat Shines behind Bowser blocks! There are nearly a dozen of these (out of 100 total Cat Shines) and they force you to stop doing what you're doing unless you want to wait for Bowser to destroy them. These issues turn Fury Bowser into an annoyance rather than adding suspense to otherwise familiar Mario proceedings.
There is huge potential in this open-world setup, but Nintendo needs to ensure that the novelties don't wear off after a few hours.

if this is what nintendo envisions the next mario game to me i am completely on board

Experiencia bastante divertida, el constante amenaza de bowser meta prisa y sus combates estan bastante bien. Cada isla se siente distinta y con su toque de exploracion bien diseñada y formas diversas de acabarlas (aunque no todas) y hay desafios variados.
Aunque si que hay unos que se pueden repetir (aunque el escenario es lo que los hace distintos, como las monedas azules) pero no son nada grabe.
Al ser corto es bastante rejugable y dura perfectamente, solo necesita de la mitad de los colecionables para ser terminado, por lo que tiene posibilidades de expresion segun como quieras ir.
Las secciones de nado aunque faciles, estan entretenidas aunque prefiero las de el 3d world original. En fin, que me parecio una experiencia bastante amena y divertida.

Divertido demais!! Saciou um pouco da fome por um jogo novo do mario que não temos a tanto tempo...

Mikið betri í seinna skiptið, þegar ég vissi meira við hverju ég átti að búast.

The very best game released in 2021, and it’s a demo.

Randomly got in a Mario mood so I replayed this for the first time since it came out... two years ago?! WTF?! Still an excellent experience, I really hope they make a follow-up someday. It seriously combines the best elements of the linear AND open styles.