Fantastic follow up from the PS4 game. Improves and adds more to the game while not taking anything away that makes Ratchet and clank the game it is. highly recommend I would say its a must own for any PS5 owner ! a fantastic time.

This is it Chief. This is where Next gen really starts.

I really want to like this game. It has the classic Ratchet gameplay that I've always loved since I was young, and Rift Apart's base combat is among the best in the series. The game is also a graphical showpiece for the PS5. Demon's Souls and Returnal look fantastic, but this game's graphics are on another level. The variety of locations really sells that graphical power, as you travel from bustling cities to bright mining facilities. Jumping between these locations with the new rifts is the first time I've been sold on this generation as a sizeable leap from the last. These aspects of the game do a good job of distracting you from several major flaws that are present throughout its entirety. Many of these issues aren't unique to this game, but a few of them are, and they really make me worried about the future of the series.
The biggest flaw is the enemy variety. This is at its worst with the bosses, but the regular enemies are guilty of this too. I couldn't tell you when I first realized I was fighting the same giant robot boss for the the fourth or fifth time because it happens so many times that I lost count. If you take out all the variants of bosses, there are only around 5 unique bosses in this game. The worst part is that none of these bosses are particularly fun to fight. It's so disappointing that a game so beautiful is stuck throwing the same robot and T Rex at you over and over again. In a game with such diverse worlds to explore, the bosses should reflect those worlds in some way. The regular enemies stoke similar feelings in me. I understand that this is a universe with an iron fisted emperor, but that isn't an excuse to make 3/4 of the enemies boring orange dome robots. This is one of the longer Ratchet games, and the lack of enemy variety really hurts when you're getting to the end of the second act. It all feels like they were playing it too safe with the enemies, and that feeling extends to every other issue I have with the game.
The more I think about the story in this game, the more it baffles me. It's a feeling similar to what I felt when I played the PS4 remake of the original game. It messes with a formula so simple that I was essentially rewriting events from the game in my head as they happened. It's so easy to see a world in which the story in this game could have been good, but not even the dimensionator could materialize it. Ratchet and Clank has always relied on the same basic themes of bonds the importance of friendship rather than the concept of "destiny". Rivet is introduces as an alternate universe version of Ratchet. She never met her universe's version of Clank, and there are so many interesting ways to take that plot point. You could explore how Rivet's life is a lot harder, but that she pushes through it anyway because of her unique ambitions. You could also go the opposite way, and show how empty her life is because of her solitary adventures. While Ratchet faces off against the buffoon that is Doctor Nefarious, Rivet lives in fear of the much more threatening Emperor Nefarious. I always think about the attic scene in Uncharted 4 when it comes to characterization in a video game. That scene shows a side of Nathan Drake that is almost entirely absent from the rest of the series. It's only when he's alone that these feelings get fleshed out. Rivet never gets a moment like this. You never get to see how Rivet lives, or what she believes, or what her deeper ambitions are. Her characterization reminds me too much of Ratchet's in the PS4 remake. She's just good because she's good and that's that. She doubts the honesty of Clank for like, one level, and then believes him instantly. Wouldn't someone like Rivet be a little more on edge when it comes to trusting anyone? This point is more of an issue with the overall plot. Ratchet and Rivet come in contact very early in the game, and this hurts their characterization and gameplay immensely. Once Ratchet and Rivet contact each other, all characterization is thrown out the window. The story becomes a checklist where characters are driven by the plot instead of the other way around. Before that happens, I was actually getting invested in Rivet and Clank's relationship. It reminded me a lot of the original Ratchet and Clank, and that made me love this series in a way I haven't since A Crack in Time. The story is at its worst when it comes to Kit, Clank's alternate dimension counterpart. First of all, I think this type of character shouldn't have been in the game at all. I think any way you slice it, Rivet would have been much more interesting without Kit. It feels like Kit herself doesn't even want to be in the story, as she continues to bring up this manufactured drama that ends in a pining to go back to her home planet. It reminds me of bad movie writing, and that makes sense when you look at the writers for this game. I love that two women were the lead writers, but it's incredibly evident from their portfolio and their work on this game that they tried to make their own bad comic book movie here. This is all ignoring the lack of character this universe has been plagued with since Deadlocked. A Crack in Time is my favorite game in the series, but even that game is missing the grime that the PS2 Ratchet games had. That was a world where everyone looked out for themselves, and people had motivations beyond "I'm good" and "I'm evil". I'm not saying Chairman Drek is a revelation when it comes to character writing, but he runs circles around Emperor Nefarious. As a final side not, I feel like Doctor Nefarious has stumbled his way into being the iconic Ratchet and Clank villain. To me, he's one of the weaker villains in the series, and he just happens to be in two of the strongest games. It truly annoys me how Insomniac insists on putting him in like every Ratchet game now.

I'd like to end this on a more positive note, and talk about Blizar Prime. Blizar Prime is one of the best levels in the entire series, and I would almost say sells the game by itself. A mining planet destroyed by machinery gone haywire, Rivet has to swap between the blasted off remains and an universe where it hasn't been destroyed. Seeing a planet enveloped by the void of space come back to life buzzing with energy is jaw dropping in a way few games are. There are levels like this in games like Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2, but this one is on another level when it comes to true childlike wonder. It's moments like these that make Rift Apart worth it even with its flaws. The pure joy of shooting a giant laser through a crowd of robots is enough to almost outweigh any negatives.

True to what I expect from Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart offers satisfying gameplay and upgrade systems with some funny dialogue but is ultimately held back by the lack of engaging exploration or an actual story.
Also did not enjoy getting stuck at random level geometry or getting pulled out of the world by invisible walls.

Platinum Trophy #33: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Insomniac delivers again with another stellar PlayStation exclusive. They ushered in the PS5 with Miles Morales and now they are delivering one of the first PS5 exclusives with Rift Apart. Although their have been R&C games over the past few years this is the first 'true' R&C sequel to me since 2009's A Crack in Time. Of course we have had some spin-offs and even Into The Nexus (which was more of an epilogue if anything). I was only about 9 years old when A Crack in Time came out so I am certainly looking back on it with heavily rose-coloured glasses. The series offers a great deal of nostalgia to me as I have since played every single R&C game since the 2002 original. But despite all that obvious bias, I think it's clear that Rift Apart is a clear return-to-form for the series and is a must play for any PS5 owner. It is probably the most beautiful game I've ever seen and like most other reviewers I can't help but make the overused Pixar-quality comparison. The diverse selection of worlds and even alternative dimension versions of these worlds allows Insomniac to really flex their environmental design. I found myself stopping regularly to look in awe at the landscape before me. It's story feels consequential and like an important evolution for these characters. The narrative isn't going to blow your socks off, parts of it are predictable and I don't think it reaches the emotional impact of A Crack in Time, which is still the series best narrative wise. However the writing in this game elevates it's narrative substantially. It is one of the funniest games I've played in recent memory and it is more serious and character-focused than previous entries. Both Ratchet and Clank are given interesting character development which makes them a bit more layered than their previous iterations. This is pretty impressive for the characters of a (predominantly) children's franchise which is now almost 20 years old. The game also expertly introduces Rivet as a new protagonist who quickly outshines the leads and becomes the most interesting character to follow. Both her background and the superb performance by Jennifer Hale bring a level of edge and trauma to Rivet which you wouldn't expect from a R&C game. I'm excited to see where her story goes next and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she becomes the co-protagonist for the series going forward, in the same way I'd expect Miles to be in another Spider-Man game. It also delivers the series best combat. This gameplay loop has been developed across several games over the last 20 years and Insomniac has finally evolved it into its most perfect form. Franchise favourite weapons return along with several new additions (e.g Topiary Sprinkler which changes enemies into beautiful foliage which is easier to hit). The game has a great loop, with you seeming to run out of ammo at just the right time to switch over to another weapon and keep the gameplay experience interesting. This is the most I have enjoyed a game in a long time. All the aspects - environments, combat and narrative - come together to create a truly special experience. My only criticism would be that the overarching narrative of Rift Apart doesn't feel as daring or emotional as A Crack in Time, but on every other level it is a superior game. For most people Rift Apart will be the best that the R&C series and the PS5 has to offer.

after an era of mediocre spin-offs, a good but way-too-short epilogue and a good, but not great remake, im glad we finally get to see another truly great ratchet and clank game in this day and age. its fun, its impressive, the hardest difficulty gives me a challenge without being unnecessarily bs, rivet is cute, the characters are great and it just feels so damn good (on performance)
this is probably the best ratchet since deadlocked

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is an incredible game. Fast-paced and frenetic action, stunning visuals, and a character-driven story at its core. It’s like playing a 3D animated film and it makes for yet another remarkable showcase of what the PlayStation 5’s technology can pull off. The environments look rich and alive and the gunplay feels more reactive and punchy than ever.

Rivet — the new Lombax — really endeared me. She didn’t come off as a stale gender swap of Ratchet, she’s very much her own character and she carried the narrative with delightful spunk. I’m glad she wasn’t a no-nonsense stick-in-the-mud as some of the early promotional material seemed to portray her. She’s a tough cookie but still fun-loving and identifiable.

That said, I wish Rivet's mechanics weren’t virtually the same as Ratchet’s. She needed more unique weapons and a distinct moveset to place her gameplay apart more. It’s nice to see the flippant humor is gradually making a comeback, too, though I felt a handful of the dialogue was still hoaky and restrained, like the 2016 movie executives were skulking about in places. Ratchet’s classic edge hasn’t entirely returned but the effort in reviving it definitely shows.

As a spectacle overall, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart absolutely delivers. It’s another advanced step to perfecting cinematic video games and solid proof that this series has strong staying power. Well done, Insomniac. So, when are we gonna get a Rivet spin-off?

Rift apart brings about as much as you expect from a main line game in the series. Controls are tight, responsive and feel oh so right. If you played the predesessors before, then you know how this game plays.

Right from the start the game doesn't banter around and pretty much gets right into the main story. If you're familiar with the series already, props to having a setting to just turn off tutorial pauses and hints altogether making it a seemless transition from the past games to this.

The game has multiple difficulties, all just changing how aggresive mobs are and how hearty they are to defeat. Harder modes will definately bleed your ammo dry. Everything is a bullet sponge. However, you'll likely die more from environment hazards than mobs, as it's too easy to just jump off the map by mistake. So don't be afraid to play on the harder difficulties. The curve isn't really that much harder.

The game is roughly 16 hours long, this includes optional content as well for collectibles and missions only. All PSN trophies might add another 2-5 hours of play. Although I wish there was more, this game does a great job at balancing what it offers before it becomes stale or "grindy".

In terms of performance, it's imaculate. The 30 fps full 4k mode is a treat. And give excellent theater-like fidelity. Perfect for those that want to play this game on the easiest mode, and are only in it for the story. This mode does have some visual artifacting (transparent textures having a strange blockyness to them) but it only ever shows up during cutscenes. The performance modes however are the best to play on and offer the least amount of visual artifacting, if any appear at all.

Now, the story could use some work. It's definately created some questions that I have for the franchise, and does feels like it builds up to a sequel for the next in line. However, I wouldn't call it great.

The "Alternate Universe" spin on this game is a rather fun concept. But it could've gone much farther than it did. Instead it just felt rather safe and predictable. Only keeping things at face value.

Another thing that lacked was the most interesting characters - that are brand new introductions mind you - don't really have a lot going for them. I absolutely love how they're designed, but they just exist with a shallow back story. It's a missed opportunity for some AU world building. Then again, that isn't something new for this franchise. Many of the previous games stories are also "safe and predictable." I'm not asking for a literary masterpiece, but I do want something that will at least make me feel invested in the the characters I like/hate.

Basically, this is a high quality game, with limited content. My only complaint really being "I wish there was more to it." For the 70 USD price tag, might be worth seeing this game drop in price before giving it a go.

Great characterisation, really good set pieces and probably the most stunning game I've ever played. There is so much on the screen at the once. It's really impressive.

The gameplay is the same old ratchet with a handful of enemy types but it's okay because the weapons are interesting and honestly it's just fun. The lack of damage direction is a bit annoying because it's hard to know if there are enemies behind you. I also never felt too overpowered which is a good thing.

The platforming is a bit frustrating if you're being impatient like me. I often fell off cliffs because I knew where to go but didn't wait long enough for the floating platform to appear. But I guess that's on me.

I really enjoyed all the characters, it's old hat to say it's like a Pixar movie but it really is.

The levels look great but I didn't really want to explore them any more than I had to. So I didn't do all of the extra stuff. Keep that in mind if You're one to try to get all the value you can out of a game especially since it's £70. My plan was to mainline it then sell it on asap, I clocked it in about 12 hours

Good ol' reliable Ratchet.

It's a Ratchet and Clank game so of course it plays well, although I do have to express disappointment with the level design and story. The level design is really basic with really easy exploratory puzzles for optional collectibles, there really isn't anything challenging to do in the game optionally. The arena is also boring, as its straight arena wave challenges with minor permutations with not much variation.

The story and writing is definitely a step down from the original trilogy, and A Crack in Time, I'm not really sure what the intention of the story really is here to begin with, it's all rather basic with not much going on for it. At first it seems like a celebration of Ratchet and Clank, but it really isn't, it ends up being just a basic underdogs against the villain story, but the villains here are pretty awful too. The main villain this time around is set up really well, and I assume the intention was that they were actually pathetic, but there really wasn't anything too threatening about them in the end anyway, even with an all powerful weapon.

It's still a good game, and a very impressive technical achievement but where's this games legacy once that technical achievement wears off? In the end, that's definitely my biggest issue with this entry, there's not much going on for it. It doesn't have the sharp writing of the original trilogy, but it doesn't have much character exploration like the future trilogy either.

nothing groundbreaking, but really fun.

This was exactly what I needed after 150 hours of Cyberpunk and during my university exam period. I fucking love this game.

Fantastic platformer that feels like the first truly next-gen experience. I must say, though, the game had some weird graphical shit while I was in the middle of a second run. The disc was also super hot when I took it out the system, so I wonder if that contributed to it.

Probably the most outright fun I've had with a video game this year. Gameplay's a blast, there's 0 filler, and the optional content mostly consists of thing other 3D platformers would make you do.

100%ed my save, and there was never a dull moment. Only complaint was the lack of enemy variety.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart might be one of the most technically impressive games I have ever played. It is absolutely gorgeous, and the animations look punchy and satisfying on the 30FPS fidelity mode. The cutscenes are near Pixar-quality animation, and the whole thing is so full of charisma that it felt like I was playing a blockbuster. I mean, what else do you expect from Insomniac?

The gameplay is incredibly satisfying, and the weapon variety is incredibly enjoyable. I loved trying out various combinations of weapons to see which playstyle worked best for me. Unfortunately, though, this is where my problems start. The game gives you the most overpowered weapon in the game pretty early on: the topiary sprinkler. This fucking thing will freeze any enemy it touches, allowing you to drain their health easily with other weapons. This even works on boss fights, which I found to be a really nice touch. Unfortunately, using this weapon on said boss fights is tantamount to just pressing the win button. Especially in later fights with a sufficiently leveled up sniper rifle, you will be able to drain boss health so quickly, that it zaps almost all challenge from any fight, Granted, you don't have to use the topiary sprinkler to beat the game, but come on... when you present the player with that much power, they're going to take advantage of it regardless. I played the game on the Rebel Agent difficulty (aka standard), so I'm sure that any balance problems are likely ironed out on harder difficulties. Still, though, this seems like an oversight.

Speaking of oversight, not every movement ability you unlock will be useful in every world, but some of them can be used to break the game, which is not great. There are several instances where platforming puzzles can be completely skipped through clever application of the hover boots, which was definitely not intended, but also never discouraged. There are no signposts clearly telling you how to solve a certain platforming challenge, and given the chance, I simply defaulted to the hover boots. This often made things remarkably easy, and I felt as though the game didn't do a good enough job of telling you that that wasn't the intended strategy.

Speaking of things the game didn't intend, there are numerous little glitches that add up to create a sizeable detriment to the experience. Misaligned geometry, wonky hitboxes, random invisible walls, and unfair instant death animations, to name a few. These were sparse, but still frequent enough to be a persistent annoyance, and it seems like they should have been ironed out before release.

Despite all these nagging issues, Rift Apart manages to astound, and provides plenty to enjoy, especially for those hungry for the first big game to take advantage of the PS5's hardware. If this is an indication of things to come, I am cautiously optimistic.

You can't "rift apart" this game away from me 💯👌

I used to think that people in the press claiming that this was a playable Pixar movie was just some marketing jargon but this is the closest a game has ever felt to FEELING like that because not only is this the best looking game I've ever played, it also has a really good score, a really fun story with memorable characters, and it uses the PS5 better than any other game released for it so far.

The combat is also pretty fun too, but it does feel a little too flashy and not as deep as I expected it to be, even by Platformer standards, but this is still an absolutely amazing game and now can stand tall as the SECOND PS5 game.

I have platted this game in the first weekend of it’s release, all I can say is that if it not perfect it is very close to being so. It might possibly beat out Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal but I will give it some time to settle first before making such a bold claim.

I’ve been a big fan of this series for almost two decades; and for me, this is a complete return to form for my favourite galactic duo.

Since A Crack in Time (one of the series’ best) , Ratchet & Clank has had a small number of average and underwhelming titles including spin offs that have left me longing for something like this, something that captured the witty charm, wonder and pure action packed joy that made the originals.

A Rift Apart has stunning visuals, immense set pieces and locations teeming with life and discovery and in my opinion the strongest supporting cast of any game in the series. That’s not to mention that the series returns with all of its signatures in full form, like over-the-top weapons, awesome gadgets & unique puzzles.

The concept of travelling through dimensions via rifts is executed beautifully in both cutscenes and gameplay, showing off the potential of the PS5’s new ssd to instantly load entire worlds with effectively no trickery or loading screens.

Suffice it to say that this game was an absolute joy to play through and 100% complete, I had a grin on my face practically the entire time and not a single moment felt wasted. I wholeheartedly cannot wait to see where insomniac take this beloved series next!

Wild how after two flawed (though enjoyable) budget games over the span of a decade as well as a couple of mediocre spinoffs, the next big Ratchet game Insomniac has made is easily the best game in the entire franchise

This game is absolutely a delight to play. The gameplay is the best its been in the franchise and its visuals are very impressive. While it may not have as good a story as crack in time , it still is pretty good. I would give this around a 9.1/10 my favourite ratchet and clank game in the series to date.