Reviews

for every flaw this game has, there's another ten things to overshadow them. music is excellent, gameplay is simple and satisfying, story is absolutely god tier, and the cast ranges from fun to superbly well written. cloud's the best character in the series

Reviewed on Aug 12, 2020

Need to replay to write a proper review tbh, beat this when I was like 12

Reviewed on Aug 11, 2020

Truly groundbreaking and converted me into someone who actually likes and sometimes prefers turn based combat. Whoda thunk?

Reviewed on Aug 09, 2020

peepee poo poo game

Reviewed on Aug 06, 2020

Probably might be my favourite video game of all time on some days, but as it stands it is also my favourite Final Fantasy game in general.

Reviewed on Aug 06, 2020

Wonderful game that hooks you from start to finish even today, this is one of those cases where the game absolutely did live up to it's hype

Reviewed on Aug 03, 2020

This game has aged horribly. The poor graphics are detriment, to the point where you sometimes need a guide just to figure out how to get to the next screen. The combat system is fine if not bland - your party members lack any individual identity in battle. The minigames scattered throughout are mostly a nuisance.

That said, it's more than worth slogging through to experience a once-in-a-lifetime story, a unique world, and one of the best JRPG soundtracks ever created.

Reviewed on Aug 01, 2020

Sobrevaloradisimo, pero es un juegazo aun así

Reviewed on Jul 30, 2020

Fck off

Reviewed on Jul 26, 2020

this would be a perfect game with slightly more graphical fidelity and a much better translation, alas, its just pretty great

Reviewed on Jul 22, 2020

Better than Star Wars

Reviewed on Jul 21, 2020

One of the most important games in history for better and worse. Fun game but you can clearly see how half baked a lot of its aspects are by the time you're halfway into disc 2, from the side characters, Materia system, combat, minigames and the entire final act. Had it not been for the speed hack I would've never finished this game

Reviewed on Jul 19, 2020

Unarguably one of the most influential and important videogames ever made, but has aged terribly. The translation is garbage and incomprehensible, the setting is cool but disjointed, the characters are just drops of exposition... it goes on. Not every important game is a good one, but I'll respect its legacy.

Reviewed on Jul 18, 2020

Although certain aspects of FF7 have aged like a fine milk, the overall experience is something you should never pass up in your life.

Reviewed on Jul 15, 2020

No joke, I met my best friend because he was talking about this game in line during fifth grade.

Reviewed on Jul 10, 2020

Writing: 4/5
Gameplay: 4/5
Art Design & Visuals: 3/5
Voices & Sounds: 5/5
Atmosphere & Immersion: 4/5

Reviewed on Jul 10, 2020

The English translation is terrible, random battles are a slog and I typically don't like turnbased combat that much. But man does this game capture me from the very beginning.

The characters are interesting, the pacing keeps me intrigued right up until it ends, and the whole scope is incredible. It also features possibly my favourite video game soundtrack of all time. Visuals are rough upon returning, though I'll cut some slack as it was the first 3D Final Fantasy title.

If you liked the remake, I'd definitely recommend the original. If you like RPGs in general, doubly so.

Reviewed on Jul 09, 2020

Final Fantasy VII looms massively in the canon of modern JRPGs, and a mixture of innovations in video game narrative, excellent music and animation, and an engaging combat system have helped it to remain one of the best experiences you can have with a controller and 40 or 50 hours to kill.

Final Fantasy VII still has a ton to teach modern video games. The pacing of its plot is impeccable and has been gushed about for decades for a reason. Though the chibi graphics may be a bit off-putting to the most graphics-slobbering contemporary connoisseur, they remain charming, and the animated cutscenes are still striking and emotive decades after they've ceased to be technical marvels. The combat system deftly marries turn-based strategic RPG gameplay with a sense of furious forward propulsion with its reliance on active decision-making. Even in the less-than-ideal English translation, dialogue and exposition serve to engage the player in the world and character interactions constantly. There's really no reason to get into what makes this game so special, as it's pretty immediately obvious to anyone who's spent a few hours with it, and much smarter people than I have written about it to death.

There is one central plot element, though, that is delivered so masterfully using the specific language of video games as a medium that I simply must expand on it. It should be a fundamental building block of all video game narrative discussions and education, and I don't see it referenced nearly enough. I might just not be well-read enough. What I'm talking about here are the Nibelheim sections. They work on so many levels⁠—plot exposition, character development, vehicles for one of the most organic yet shocking twists in a video game⁠—but the one that is most central is player immersion in the act of roleplaying as Cloud.

Let's review. When your party leaves Midgar, they arrive in the town of Kalm, where Cloud takes it upon himself to recall his past in order to help everyone understand the origins of the mysterious Sephiroth, who has just killed President Shinra. He does this by telling them a playable story about his home town of Nibelheim, where Tifa also grew up. Right off the bat, we have a lesson I think many people have already taken from the game⁠—plot-essential flashbacks work much better as playable moments than as cutscenes or lengthy dialogue sections. So, you're playing in Nibelheim and Cloud starts telling the story of how he, as a first-class SOLDIER, was dispatched to Nibelheim alongside the mighty Sephiroth to look into some problems at a Mako Reactor there. During this flashback, Cloud's inferiority to Sephiroth in combat prowess is demonstrated by an encounter with a Dragon who will easily OHKO the player but is handily defeated by Sephiroth. Gameplay in Nibelheim mostly revolves around visiting childhood haunts of Cloud's and exploration of Mt. Nibel and a mysterious mansion in town where Sephiroth holes himself up after coming face-to-face with Shinra experiments in the reactor.

At this time, all the player knows is that they get to participate in telling the story of what Cloud did during this visit to Nibelheim, but the experienced player knows that his foggy memory is causing him, depending on your interpretation, to obfuscate events and lie or to incorrectly recall key details. This struggle to recall is a strong in-game justification for any wandering the player might do.

Much later, the player is again required to visit Nibelheim in pursuit of Sephiroth, and the player's memory of the town and Cloud's are one. We know exactly where to go to move the story forward, as we have played Cloud's memory, and Cloud in-game has that memory. To me, this is a fascinating case study in the way that growing player familiarity with a game's world can be integrated into the experience of roleplaying a character in that world. Sure, in open-world games or virtually any game based on exploration at all, the player and the player character are both in some or many ways blank slates that grow together in their grasp of how things work, where major locations are, etc. But here, we have a cinematic moment of a flashback that is told entirely in the language of video games and has a payoff that is equally unique to the medium.

Later on, of course, we have one of the most incredible psychological setpieces in any video game ever in the rebuilding of Cloud's memory, and again the player's participation is essential to the work of the characters themselves in rebuilding Cloud's memory and identity.

Outside of this observation, I don't have a ton to add to existing discourse about Final Fantasy VII. The game still plays great and even if you're spoiled on the particular big twist moments (Aerith's death is the big one) the way the story is told cannot be missed.

For me personally, the game is a bit hurt by reliance on JRPG gameplay tropes that continue to the present day in the genre. There are some abilities and items that are not easy to find without a guide that are basically essential to overcome a massive difficulty spike at the end of the story. I think that the optional endgame content should demand that you scoured the world for certain abilities and items, but Meteor basically only being survivable if you managed to find Big Guard blind is a bit bullshit. I'm pretty insistent on playing games blind, and the entire game's difficulty curved nicely with a bit of grinding, which I don't mind, but I still haven't found a single strategy for Sephiroth that doesn't rely on Big Guard or some other easily missable materia like the Knights of the Round summon or something.

Ultimately though, that one minor personal gripe doesn't hold me back from saying loudly that this is one of the rare games that absolutely everyone who cares at all about the medium should play.

Reviewed on Jul 03, 2020

this game's a lot like real life 2020, except there's no earth-child anime villain coming around to complicate your mission to thwart a giant corporation that's killing the planet with impunity.

Reviewed on Jun 24, 2020

Favourite game of all time. I even enjoy the blocky, lego visuals. I think it works perfectly. Also my favourite video game soundtrack of all time.

Reviewed on Jun 18, 2020

Its weird to approach a game with such an overwhelming legacy as FF7. The level of hype and expectations going in are huge! But despite all that, actually sitting down to play it? Its just a dang good game. Its charming, its emotional, the twists I didn't expect hit hard. It gets the praise it gets because its just a good game.

Reviewed on Jun 13, 2020

First played: September 7, 1997
First played date accuracy: +/- 7 days
Last attempted: Likely 2015

Why I should beat it: Considered one of the best RPGs of the era, there's a big nostalgia factor there, and I would be happy to play through it.

Why I haven't beaten it: I'm quite bad at RPGs, I just never had the patience to level up my characters by grinding, so I always hit walls. All I want to do is enjoy storyline without endless dungeon battles that prohibit progress for arbitrary fights. It's a turnoff for me.

This was going to be a big effort for me, at best, and with a child, that's a hard ask. I've also made lots of progress in RPGs before just to have the storyline denied to me because of random dungeon battles I wasn't prepared for. It's not attractive.

I first became aware of this game from gaming magazines. Later, I recall renting Tobal No. 1 so I could get the demo disc of this, the crew having Shiva and Ifrit that early was hilarious. I bought the game some time in late 1997 I believe, I remember seeing my friend Ted with his sealed copy, and I bought the same one, just because. Never succeeded at an RPG before.

For the last 23 years, I have started, stopped, started again, always failing to make it anywhere in this game. But I always liked what the game represented, I remember as early as 2003, burning the soundtrack CD with my new CD-R burner, took forever. Making crappy CD labels in a CD label program.

The 2020 Endeavor:

Since I'm 40 years old now, and married with a child, and I am able to play on a PlayStation Portable as I can play in bed or while I'm parked with my daughter sleeping in the car, I decided this was my final, final chance.

If I hit a wall where the run was in jeopardy (henceforth referred to as "!!DANGER!!"), I'd cheat, if I had to.

So here we go:

Midgar: This brought back a ton of memories of me. I enjoyed this part, as it's always where I played the most with so many restarts.

Sector 5 Slums: Nice stuff here, I liked the church.

Wall Market: I really liked the Wall Market, fun area where you're not scared of dungeons.

Sewer and Train Graveyard: Always hard for me, but I ended up getting through it.

Sector 6: This was alright, mopey Cloud.

Shinra Building: This was a pretty fun part, if you can believe it, all those years I actually thought I was near the end of disc 1 by now, because I had been playing for a while, shows how far off I was. Rufus/elevator fights were hard.

Kalm: Simple enough.

Chocobo Farm: The game never tells you where this is or that you need to go, make you spend a ton of Gil for that point in the game.

Mythril Mine: Not really a fan of these parts of the game.

Junon: Parade part was stupid.

Cargo Ship: Not really intuitive about what's about to happen, since you just talked to Barret and then you go back and he's not there blocking the path anymore.

Costa del Sol: In another life, I would have spent more time playing around here, but I'm 40 and in a rush.

Mount Corel: Not a big fan.

Gold Saucer: Boy that's a lot of money, what an odd place. Chocobo racing sucked.

Corel Prison: I didn't care for this, outside of lots of fighting and sleeping in the truck. !!DANGER!! Fight with Dyne with underpowered Barret was stupid.

Gongaga: Skipped it altogether.

Cosmo Canyon: Didn't like it, too many big spiders they make you face, followed by a dumb boss fight. Almost a wall.

Nibelheim: The scorpion fight almost had me resorting to cheats, but I haven't given in, yet. Almost another wall.

Rocket Town: This was fun and chill, I wish more of the game was like this.

Gold Saucer: Ah, this place again. What a strange and odd place, battle tournament was dumb, after having an enemy poison me and I sit there and watch cloud keep getting attacked as he slowly does. Oh, and I paid 3000 Gil for that experience. The date scene was okay after the weird stage performance was over with.

Temple of the Ancients: I was super tense during this, I think it was the music, like something really bad is going to happen very soon. Uematsu does a great job at making you feel endangered. !!DANGER!! This is when I started cheating, because Demon's Gate sucks, and I don't have the time or the desire to grind.

Bone Village: no idea why I needed to find that lunar harp, and so glad I looked at a guide to see where to find it, what a weird one-off mechanic, like that parade.

Forgotten Capital: This place was creepy as hell, completely deserted, and what a way to end disc 1, a point I never thought I would get to, legit or not. And now, I can continue on with this journey.

Icicle Inn: Was a nice little town, I sure didn't know that thing was a snowboard.

The Great Glacier The snowboarding game was odd, and the map didn't help much.

Gaea’s Cliff: Boy I'm sure glad I never passed out during this.

Whirlwind Maze: This was interesting, and not at all annoying.

Junon: Back here again? Rip through them.

Mideel: What a neat little town. Wow, Cloud's all messed up.

Mount Corel: That was a hike.

Fort Condor: What a dumb tower defense game.

Mideel: Well this certainly turned. The consciousness scene was trippy as hell.

Underwater Reactor: All this huge materia, for some purpose?

Underwater Submarine Battle: Nah, didn't care for this minigame. Also, find me the person who knew where the Key to the Ancients was without a guide.

Rocket Town / Cosmo Canyon: You got your wish, Cid.

Forgotten City & Diamond Weapon: Can feel myself towards the end now. Going back to the forgotten city was weird.

Midgar: Was almost nice to be back here, even for the last time.

Northern Cave: Was a very interesting last bit of the game, once you step off the Highwind at the start of Disc 3.

Sephiroth.

!!DANGER!!

So my method of cheating on the PSP is a custom firmware with the cheating application. I didn't want to risk anything. So for most of the game, I had infinite HP turned on for all characters. I got all the way to Safer Sephiroth, the final boss, and I felt like I didn't want to take any chances, because it'd been a while since I had the opportunity to save.

I turned on "No Damage". And the "No Damage" cheat conflicted with my "Infinite HP" cheat, and the game froze. Time to start the last hour over again from the Highwind.

!!DANGER!!

As it turns out, it didn't just crash my PSP, but the crash was so bad, it corrupted my cheats database. I have to now hook up my PSP to a computer and import a new cheats database. 4 hours later, I was back in action. And after another hour, back at Safer Sephiroth.

!!DANGER!!

Because up until this point, I was just hacking through everything, I never bothered to stock up on Megalixers, Remedys, and Phoenix Downs. I also had barely any magic attached to my weapons, so when Sephiroth got high in the air, I had no way of attacking him, and it was just a pattern of Super Nova's, and without any way to heal myself, I died, with Infinite HP (Infinite HP only kicks in during the start of a fight, if a fight lasts long enough and you can't heal, you will still die.) I've waited 23 years to see the end of this game, I can wait one more day, but I would need my own "Ultimate Weapon"

Black Chocobo, a save editor for this game. I uploaded my save file, kicked in 99 megalixers, 99 remedys, and 99 phoenix downs. I gave the highest Limit Break, best weapon, and Destruct and Regen Materia to everyone. There was no way I could lose now.

!!DANGER!!

Towards the end of the Sephiroth battle, when I had him towards the end of his 80,000 starting HP, I accidentally gave him a Megalixer. This raises him back to 400,000 HP! I was astonished at this point, and thoroughly assured that I was never meant to see the end of this game, it is destiny. I was never meant to be here.

But I sat it out, and after countless turns, regens, and 4 Super Nova's, I defeated Sephiroth.

I beat this game on a Thursday, with cheats and save file edits, and tons of drama and technical issues in-between. But finally, I can put it to bed.

Time elapsed from starting the game to finishing the game:
22 years, 268 days

Reviewed on May 28, 2020

First not-MMO Final Fantasy game I've actually finished now. Was surprised by how weird and silly the game is considering its reputation. I didn't actually like the combat all that much, but using cheats I had a lot of fun just going through the story. I regret skipping most of the side content though.

Reviewed on May 10, 2020

not overrated

Reviewed on May 04, 2020

The game that single-handedly made America care about JRPGs. Lured in by the cool dude with the motorcycle and the big sword and the fancy graphics, players found a genuinely moving story about loss and grief. The gameplay is great, though not quite the pinnacle of the series. A game that will never stop mattering.

Reviewed on May 03, 2020

Loved what I played,a bit dated but that's expected

Reviewed on May 01, 2020

Nice story, funny and lovable characters

Reviewed on May 01, 2020

It's okay. Getting to different areas with all these random encounters can be a huge drag, a lot the over world has nothing going on in it, and it's so hard to see yourself at times. I got lost so many times because I couldn't see where I was going. Story is alright, but I feel it doesn't incorporate the other characters enough. They mainly just sit around and watch Cloud do things. They have their own archs, but that's not enough to just throw them out after. Red XIII is a great example of this. So much happens with him at Cosmo Canyon, and then after that, he's barely mentioned ever again. I did not like how the story did that because I really liked the character that the Arch set up. This happens with Barret, Yuffie, Vincent, and Cait Sith as well. Also the grinding near the end for proper Materia to fight the weapons is awful. I enjoyed my time here, but it's not something I can see myself replaying.

Reviewed on Apr 30, 2020

Final Fantasy VII is absolutely one of the greatest games of all time. there is nothing other to say than for all it's faults, it is infinitely compelling and it's shortcomings all fall away as you find yourself propelled effortlessly by the characters and story. No other game is Like this.

Reviewed on Apr 30, 2020

I got this game at a flea market in 1999, in sixth grade. It opened my third eye.

Reviewed on Apr 29, 2020

i got this game in 1999 but my mom didn't let me play it for a few weeks because barret always says FUCK!!!!! i stole it out of her room and played it anyway. i love this game so dearly

Reviewed on Apr 29, 2020

If I was 13 in 1997 this would probably be my favorite game of all time

Reviewed on Apr 28, 2020

pretty sick ngl

Reviewed on Apr 25, 2020

sephiroth is hot

Reviewed on Apr 19, 2020

I don't know, this was very Fine. I enjoyed the game the most during the Midgar portion and then things kinda fell off. Wasn't a fan of the mini-games that were part of the actual progression in this. Side content/mini-games aren't a strong part of the series for me but usually they're as mentioned, side content. That RTS styled bit? Delete it.

Anyways, I'm glad I got around to this finally. It's probably my least favorite of the non-I and II FF games I've played but that's okay. Here's to me getting around to the rest of the ones i've yet to play.

Reviewed on Mar 18, 2020

Sephiroth took me an hour to beat and if I had failed that fight past the 40 minute mark this was gonna get a 3 stars. I didn't so it keeps the 5 stars but its on thin fucking ice

Reviewed on Mar 14, 2020