Reviews

Wahoo

Reviewed on Jun 04, 2020

Not only Worth the Wait, but Id wait the same time between galaxy 2 to Odyssey again if it meant another game like this

Reviewed on Jun 04, 2020

A world filled with beautifully designed levels, filled with moments of discovery and unique ideas. All of this is complemented by its extensive movement options that give an unimaginable amount of freedom to the player's movement. It never felt too difficult to progress, but there were certainly moments I needed to work to find an extra couple moons. This game is a clear sign of Nintendo's continuous quality kept with it's first party titles.

Reviewed on Jun 01, 2020

Charming as can be, New Donk City festival was best part of the game. Controls were intuitive, fun discoveries, and diverse methods of platforming/ world traversal.

Reviewed on Jun 01, 2020

I can't fault the game, it does exactly what it aims to, and, as a great man once said; 'the game is fun'.

Reviewed on May 31, 2020

mario jump

Reviewed on May 26, 2020

It's a solid 3d Mario game. Doing 100% does not sound fun, but a regular playthrough is a good time.

Reviewed on May 24, 2020

Moons around every corner. I went to all the corners I wanted to. No more, no less.

Reviewed on May 23, 2020

9.5/10

Reviewed on May 22, 2020

There's a cross-section of this game that would be a really good on its own, but it's really watered down with boring filler. For every good part there's 5 that are dull and feel copy-pasted. If Sunshine weren't so busted I'd say this was hands-down the worst 3D Mario.

Reviewed on May 21, 2020

If this game is so good why is there no interesting platforming in it??

Reviewed on May 20, 2020

A really delightful game, filled with clever ideas. I wish more of those ideas were directed towards platforming, but even the overreliance on exploration and moon-hunting hasn't taken away from my overall enjoyment.

Reviewed on May 08, 2020

Hot Take Time: Mario Odyssey is good but has some big problems. It's a blast to play and controls great (as every 3d mario title does) but I have some issues with the way the game is structured. I much prefer the old way of doing things when it came to level design, with the one star objective at a time and found I was inundated with a constant flow of moons. This is a pure collectathon, and I think it dulls the experience when there are so many moons available. The post-game content is great, truly challenging, and I love a lot of the levels (while a couple I could do without). The hat possession mechanic is great, and seeing marios little mustache on all the enemies brings me pure joy. This game is great, but I wish it was structured a little differently. That being said, Nintendo hasn't missed on the switch and this game is essential playing.

Reviewed on May 08, 2020

don't typically enjoy 3d mario but this was fun. lots of cool stuff to do. the over abundance of moons is ridiculous tho

Reviewed on May 02, 2020

Simply phenomenal

Reviewed on May 01, 2020

Fun

Reviewed on Apr 30, 2020

This was alright. I never finished it fully because I couldn't be bothered. Collecting all the moons was such a drag since they required you to do so much back and forth across the various worlds. It wasn't fun at all. Main story is alright, and I liked a couple areas a lot.

Reviewed on Apr 30, 2020

the existence of new donk city implies there is a place named donk that people moved from years ago. also, when did paulina and mario break up? It appears sometime after donkey kong and before SMB1, mario continued his career plumbing and then pauline started down her political career, considering she is mayor of new donk city. also re: old donk...is that where mario and pauline lived before, is that where DK (cranky kong) is from? Was NDC founded so humans could live in peace without their Kong overlords? Also, the other humans don't look like pauline and mario, so are they even humans or are they something different?

best game on the switch

Reviewed on Apr 29, 2020

A game so good it shouldn't exist. While it may not be my personal favourite platformer I'd say it's the best platformer ever. While I played it I constantly thought "how does a game like this exist," and it's probably the only platformer to make me cry from how pure a certain moment of the game was. You can tell that Nintendo put their heart and soul into this game and it constantly shows. A once in a lifetime experience for the medium and anyone who can appreciate video games should be able to see what makes it so special.

Reviewed on Apr 29, 2020

This was my first Switch game, I got this and my Switch my freshman year of college, about a year after the Switch came out. One of the best experiences I've had beating a game, I can't remember putting it down through the main story. But when I beat it, I wasn't really motivated to collect more power moons since there are so many. Now, it's something fun for me to chip away at, even 3 years later. A personal favorite.

Excellent Movement

The first game to bring a tear to my eye since the PS2/GC era

Reviewed on Apr 29, 2020

I love it when the Italian man throws his hat

Reviewed on Apr 28, 2020

i dont really like platforming games

Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020

I really like this one. It feels fantastic to control and the game is amazing overall

Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020

Don't get me wrong. I really like this game. However, I feel that it is slightly overrated. After you beat the game, I realize that there is so much to do. However, it does not feel as fulfilling as some of the other 3D Mario games.

Reviewed on Apr 19, 2020

ahhhhhhhhh I adore this game!

Reviewed on Apr 19, 2020

it's like on par with mario 64 honestly

Reviewed on Apr 15, 2020

Joy, Super Mario Odyssey is the definition of Joy. This game will not stop untill it puts a smile into your face, to me i was happy all the time when i was playing this and came back to play even more when i needed a happy place.

The story is small, but again happy, every world has it's own mechanic and own capture , ones are better than the others, but all of the worlds are amazing. The music on this is so damn god, i can always go back to the Steam Gardens, or even more, to Jump up super star, like this song is the best, it defines the joy this game brings.

Of course, Super Mario Odyssey shines on it's platforms, once you got a hold of Cappy, you can fly thorugh any word in any way you want to, i could play the game the way i wanted to and use cappy to do things i wasn't supossed to but the level designers accounted for.

A masterpiece and a must play for platform fans, i can't express how much this game means to me, just play it and have fun!

Reviewed on Apr 12, 2020

Apesar de não possuir exatamente o mesmo charme de Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Odyssey estabelece sua própria aventura interplanetária com direito a muitos quebra-cabeças, mecânicas particulares e muita caça ao tesouro.

A campanha é gostosa e o replay garantido pela quantidade de colecionáveis. Apesar disso, senti a quantidade exagerada, o que não deve atrapalhar a experiência de um jogador comum, apenas os colecionistas. Se eu tivesse esse perfil, teria uma experiência menos satisfatória.

Não é fácil encontrar um defeito em Mario Odyssey. O título reúne todos os melhores elementos de Mario Sandbox, entregando um jogo cujo melhor adjetivo é mágico!

Encantador, cativante, extremamente divertido e criativo são mais alguns predicados que essa obra prima merece.

Reviewed on Apr 06, 2020

Finally finished this game after 2 years of playing it. I beat the game 99.9% in like 3 months but literally missed 3 purple coins in Bowser's Kingdom so I finally finished it pretty recently.

Very good. Wish there were more interesting moons, but still great.

Reviewed on Mar 11, 2020

Very pretty except for a few spots where things are too clean looking and come off more like an ugly rubber than actual ground or trees. Great movement that is barely used except for a small handful of spots in the very endgame. Don't play the endgame its not worth it. Every concept is repeated about 35 times after the main story is finished. Its like playing Super Mario 64 but every world has 100 stars in it. Really polished ok platformer with basically no difficulty at all.

Incredibly Disappointing. The worst mario game.

4/10

Reviewed on Feb 16, 2020

whats up gamers remember the 90s

Reviewed on Feb 05, 2020

had lots of fun with the control and movement but it should be harder, less pandering and more focused

Reviewed on Jan 02, 2020

I don't have a joke for this game.. Lets uh, do the Odyssey?

Reviewed on Dec 11, 2019

My first game played on the Switch, it had to be this one and didn't disappoint. 3D Mario brings me so much good memories from Super Mario Sunshine, which I absolutely loved as a child. I always loved the style and creativity that these games have. Super Mario Odyssey looks absolutely gorgeous and is joy to play, all the kingdoms are fun and unique. New Donk City rules tho.

The new mechanic is trademark Nintendo, simple but functional. It adds so much variety to gameplay and some of the creatures you can capture could easily have each a game of their own.

Nintendo did it again.

Reviewed on Nov 29, 2019

Não tem como parar de jogar sem ficar com uma dor no coração. Uma obra-prima ao som de um jazz cantado com referências de DK Arcade.

Reviewed on Nov 15, 2019

breaking news everybody, turns out i am actually a very stupid man because only on my ninth playthrough of this game do i realize it is actually good.

i got a lot to say about this, starting with how stupid and wrong i am about everything in life and i dont deserve to put credible thoughts on the internet. this came out around the time i was still hearing about how breath of the wild is the greatest video game ever made and that mario odyssey was going to be the other best game ever made. at the time, hearing such constant praise for this game on top of my own overblown hype for it made the overall experience just feel "ok," and with time, even bad. i was immensely disappointed with the level design most of all.

moons felt like filler, levels were sprawling and lifeless, and mario's moveset - fun as it was - didnt feel fitting for the world. every good thing about the game felt like an excuse for a lack of design elsewhere. continuing my expectations for a sequel to mario 64 (something they promised us) there was absolutely no difficulty curve. start to end, its baby's first video game. and that may be true, but i realized that isnt entirely a bad thing.

as i grow old in this shambling husk of a body i still administer, i feel more cynicism in this cold industry creeping up my back like the realization i cant think of a proper simile. i start forming ideas of what is good and what is bad in a video game, and as it goes on i realize how much Odyssey actually does right. theres an entire subset of collectibles dedicated to buying hats and souvenirs.

most importantly though, mario's moveset. whenever you actually see someone criticize this game, god forbid, you probably see either mario's moveset having one apex jump, or the moons and level design not totally being designed around it. and for a while, i fully agreed. recently though, i realized that the combination really turns out to make for a proper high skill ceiling. its still the least punishing game ever made, but being able to skip the shitty boss fights and set pieces (which are almost all complete garbage but hey its still not a 5 star game) means that it can still be completed quickly and skillfully, which equates to stylishly.

thats my biggest criticism with the game, the linear progression. not the idea of it, but the execution. (almost) every boss in this game is just walking around waiting for your turn to hit the Y button and every set piece is just watching nintendo masturbate for thirty minutes. its not that theyre good, its that skipping them is gooder.

im probably a nintendo shill that only supports them because i played mario as a kid and bosses still sucking should still equal criticism (which it does, hence not 5/5 along with some kingdoms being entirely lame) but the amount that mario does and the way it all blends together makes for a game that still isnt a masterpiece, but doesnt get old after god knows how many playthroughs. a lot to criticize, but a lot to love too. i can understand either side of the fence.

and im not sure if lost kingdom or ruined kingdom is supposed to represent the trip to the underworld, could go either way. its hard to say because Mario doesnt get the bag of winds until after bowsers kingdom, so really the whole thing is a jumbled mess

Reviewed on Oct 12, 2019

3d platforming at its best. I strongly miss the Mushroom Kingdom, though. Moon hunting is both easier and more annoying than in previous entries.

Reviewed on Oct 07, 2019

Mario is overrated and platformers are dead

Reviewed on Jul 01, 2019

Without a doubt the best 3D Mario has ever been. Trades the quantity of the Galaxy games for sheer quality, and it works. The new mechanic is unique and FUN.

Plays like butter. Looks gorgeous. Sounds delicious. It's a legitimate joy to play.

I wish I could forget about this game to replay it all over again like it's the first time.

Reviewed on Jun 17, 2019

It's very good but no replay value and too easy

Reviewed on May 06, 2019

I think this is my favorite Mario game ever. Even though there were some frustrating parts, and quite a bit of coin grinding, I loved it. I loved using Cappy to control other beings (which is kinda creepy if you think about it) including a dinosaur.

Got every star (even the ones you can buy), every purple coin, as costume, which leads me to my next point: the Super Mario 64 costume is objectively the best costume in the game, and without Super Mario 64 we wouldn't have Super Mario Odyssey.

Also, this game is beautiful, sometimes it made me feel like I was watching an animated movie, and I do think an animated Mario movie would be awesome.

Reviewed on Apr 04, 2019