Reviews

One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had

Reviewed on Jun 04, 2020

This game isn't perfect, but it's damn close. What else is there to say that hasn't already been said?

Reviewed on May 31, 2020

Best game ever ever

Reviewed on May 26, 2020

no dungeons.... why

Reviewed on May 26, 2020

this game is really just okay

Reviewed on May 25, 2020

"You can do THAT!?!"

Reviewed on May 24, 2020

I'm not kidding when I say that this is my favorite game of all time. I have logged more time into this game than any other game. It's been three years and I just can't put this thing down.

I know there are faults to this game, as there are with many games. Sure, the dungeons could have been a bit more varied, same with the Shrines. The weapon durability could have been a bit more varied across the board. But these are such small faults when looking at the hundreds of things this game does right.

I escape into this world and find peace. I escape and find adventure and excitement. I get lose in this world more so than any other game. To me, that's perfect.

Reviewed on May 24, 2020

Really great, but extremely difficult game, along that your Joy-Cons are broken.

Reviewed on May 23, 2020

You can tell Nintendo realised they could put zero effort into making interesting games starting with this one because they've just copy-pasted the entire UI into every game they've made since

Reviewed on May 22, 2020

I just wish that exploring the world lead to more than just Korok seeds.

Also all of the dungeons are awful.

Reviewed on May 21, 2020

Incredibly fun, beautiful world to explore. Systems that work well together and encourage experimentation. Decently memorable characters. Knocked points for transphobia and repetitive puzzles.

Reviewed on May 20, 2020

The best new Nintendo IP in ages! They rely a bit too much on nostalgia, so good on them for making something new!

I do miss Zelda though. There hasn't been a new game in that franchise since A Link Between Worlds. Kinda sad.

Reviewed on May 14, 2020

I was hesitant to get my hopes up for this game when it was announced. Nintendo wasn't exactly on a hot streak during the wii u years, so when it came out the and the hype train started rolling I held my judgement and avoided spoilers till I had the opportunity to litigate it myself after the trainwreck that was Skyward Sword, a game I very much disliked that critics seemed to love.

I was amazed by this game. Truly groundbreaking progression for a series I have loved since I was a child. I played it for a hundred hours and didn't even come close to finding everything in the dense world, and on top of anything this game is fun at its core. Despite the classic gripes (it would be nice to have actual dungeons on top of everything else) this game is as close to perfect as can be, and has become my go to answer when people ask me my fav game of all time.

Reviewed on May 08, 2020

The best ubisoft game ever made.

Reviewed on May 04, 2020

People like this game. I don't. That's all there is to say.

Reviewed on May 04, 2020

won't complete it because i never want it to be over

Reviewed on May 03, 2020

I love that I can just boot this game up any time and hang out in this wonderful world. Still so much undiscovered. Just beautiful.

Reviewed on May 03, 2020

i appreciate it but ultimately wasn't my jam

Reviewed on May 02, 2020

Probably the greatest game I've played yet

Reviewed on May 01, 2020

damn this game was comfy as hell

Reviewed on Apr 30, 2020

The core appeal of this game, for me, was the discovery, which makes it un-replayable until I inevitably suffer dementia.

But man, was that first playthrough magical.

Reviewed on Apr 29, 2020

bought this game in march 2017 and 100%d it. bought it again in february 2020 and 100%d it again.

Reviewed on Apr 29, 2020

I feel like this is a YouTuber game that's actually really good

Reviewed on Apr 28, 2020

The climbing alone is worth 5 stars.

Reviewed on Apr 28, 2020

dunno if i'll ever finish this

Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020

Pretty fun but the dungeons are really lame, other than Hyrule castle, and has a lot of smaller issues that could use some tweaks. BotW two please fix I'd be real cool

Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020

Before this game, it was very difficult for me to decide what was my top 1 game, but when i finished it i just had no doubt left. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild is an absolute masterpiece, created with love and care, built to hook the player into this amazing version of Hyrule. Every mission, every character, every mistery in this game is extremely interesting and i still want to get back to this game to find new secrets.

Reviewed on Apr 24, 2020

The was the only Zelda game I have completed. I just kept bouncing of Orcarina of Time when I was younger. This game though had my attention from the moment it started. I love the traversal and the environment. The music is gorgeous and only adds to the mood. Get up to a tower to unlock a new part of the map, and then scanning around and placing markers at all the shrines you can see is amazing.

Everything about this game is a joy. I wish there was someway for me to play it over again fresh. This is a masterpiece.

Reviewed on Apr 19, 2020

Breath of the Wild is probably the best rendition of nonlinear exploration in a 3D world I've had the benefit of playing so far, maybe even some of the best exploration structure and design in general. The way it encourages freeform make-your-own-story gameplay through its map design and incredibly deep Sheikah Slate systems that are arguably the best mechanical component of any Zelda game to date is something to be praised to hell and back. However that being said, it's still an incredibly messy game most likely due to how it had to re-contextualize a bunch of series staples into the massive freedom this game entails. The internet has really already summarized the base issues, but for clarity's sake I'll put my spin on each of them

Endurance for weapons is a great incentive for on-the-fly decisionmaking but ends up meaning very little after about 20 hours in
Shrines are a fantastic way to divy out rigid zelda puzzle design but just like rigid zelda puzzle design are still mostly fairly simple and uninteresting
Divine Beasts are great dungeons in terms of structure with their forced consideration on the player to think of the whole dungeon in a 3d space but are incredibly easy to solve even by brute force
It's surprisingly difficult in the beginning but has a huge reverse difficulty curve the more you explore, but at the very least this component is customizable depending on where you go.
With that out of the way, the physics system and exploration more than makes up for these pitfalls for a truly strong open world experience that will probably not be matched by a mainstream way for many years. (8/10)

Reviewed on Apr 19, 2020

My first--and still greatest--Nintendo Switch gaming experience.

Reviewed on Apr 18, 2020

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the 19th main installment of the Legend of Zelda franchise, and this one is a doozy. Flaunting a fancy new open world, and more side activities than you shake a Master Sword at, this is undoubtedly the biggest Zelda game to date, and with many players singing its praises, and its 2017 "Game of the Year" award, it would seem like this game may be the best in the series.

The most prominent feature of this new game is its non-linearity. In Breath of the Wild, once you get off of the starting tutorial zone, the player is thrust with a quest to advance the main story, which counter-intuitively, is entirely optional. The player has the freedom to travel the world as they may please, completing dungeons without learning their significance, or even skipping straight to the final dungeon to beat the game in as quickly as half an hour. As fun as this can be, the direction to a looser structure made some sacrifices necessary, including the removal of the dungeon specific items and tools present in past games, and the lack of a proper difficulty curve. That first setback may not be an issue for some players, but depending on how you play the game, the less tuned difficulty can be bothersome.

Do you know what else is bothersome? The task of obtaining nine hundred tiny collectables scattered all over the map by completing about a dozen different types of puzzles to find the hidden Koroks. This is the only aspect of the game that I didn't complete. After collecting roughly three hundred of the useless Korok seeds, I realized I had stopped having fun finding them, and that they had simply become a chore. Now, finding the first four hundred is actually useful, as they let you expand your inventory space. Unfortunately, after your weapon storage is maxed out, the only reward for finding them all is a golden turd that does absolutely nothing except remind you of the hours you just spent solving monotonous puzzles to get the damn item.

Despite the setbacks mentioned above, the music, visuals, and story easily make up for those shortcomings. The music, although sparse, conveys the tone of the game perfectly, and paired with the gorgeous landscapes, it can make for a very relaxing experience any time you need a break from making battle with Ganon and his minions.

While the plot of the game can be easily ignored, a well written and reasonably well voice-acted story is able to be told despite the non-linearity. Told mostly through optional cutscenes showing the history of the main characters, the story that is told throughout the experience is absolutely worth the time it takes to seek out.

I personally give The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild an 8/10. With its beautiful music and landscapes, its touching story, and the freedom to do just about anything you want, it's hard not to fall in love with this game. Even despite the lack of mainstays from other Zelda titles, the difficulty that could definitely use some tweaking, and the side activities that occasionally overstay their welcome, Breath of the Wild is a wonderful game, deserving a play from anyone interested in open-world games, or the Zelda franchise.

Reviewed on Apr 18, 2020

I couldn't put this shit down when i first played it

Reviewed on Apr 15, 2020

Being a moderately experience Zelda fan (there are many games in the series I have not yet played), this was both an exciting and mildly disappointing entry for me. I love the open world take on the franchise and I think they did a really great job with the level design and the incredible atmosphere. The variety in weapons and armor is fantastic as well. The whole cooking mechanic is a ton of fun as well. However, where there are many positives to this title, and I certainly recommend this game to anyone with even a remote interest in it, there are several things that I found to be disappointing.
As much as the story tried to feel epic, there were a few design decisions that caused that feeling to be lost on me. Side quests weren't that interesting and only netted the reward of rupees (none of them reward you with cool items or anything). The fact that themed dungeons with a story have been all replaced with shrines and the Divine Beasts was a bit of a letdown. While the Divine Beasts were supposed to feel like dungeons, they just felt like extended shrines with a Ganon variant at the end. And speaking of Ganon, instead of being an actual character, Ganon was replaced with more of a concept of himself, and his boss fight is unfortunately underwhelming. Probably the easiest fight in the game for me. The weapon durability system would have been really cool if the weapons didn't break so freaking fast. The voice acting also kind of detracted from the experience, as it was wildly varied in quality. It's the most ambitious entry to the Zelda franchise, and it's certainly a great game, but it was a little underwhelming. I am excited to see what they do with the sequel, though!

Reviewed on Apr 15, 2020

Fresh take on the open world genre!

Reviewed on Apr 07, 2020

A experiência de BOTW é em sua magnitude majoritariamente excepcional. A Nintendo acertou em quase tudo e o jogo funciona muito bem com suas mecânicas e design único. Entretanto, minha experiência foi pesadamente diluída em um mundo desnecessariamente gigante, com exploração parte energizante, parte frustrante.

A presença de elementos do começo da franquia como a liberdade total desde as primeiras horas conversa com muita gente positivamente, mas pessoalmente fez o oposto comigo. É dos casos onde liberdade demais acabou estragando. A falta de uma maior economia de compra e venda de itens, um sistema de crafting que tornasse a experiência das armas quebráveis menos frustrante e a reutilização de presets de shrines, bem como a imensa descartabilidade dos tesouros e itens encontrados em baú minaram de forma tal que a experiência se tornou bem menos gloriosa ao final do jogo. As dungeons, apesar de excelentes, também se perdem em um mundo tão gigantesco que optou em pulverizar a experiência em shrines, ao invés de longas e satisfatórias dungeons.

Gostaria que mais conteúdo como o presente na DLC Champion's Ballad estivesse presente no jogo base, adicionaria mais sabor à narrativa e à lore base, que achei pobre. Excelente jogo, mas longe de perfeito.

Reviewed on Apr 07, 2020

One of the most unique game I've ever played. I wasn't a Zelda fan before, never played a full zelda game but BOTW got me completly. The world and gameplay, with the freedom to choose your own path and the unique characters made me a huge fan.

The one thing that I can complain about BOFW is the farming, present on most of those open world games. Sometimes I needed to grind some money on some spot known by the community just to get that set that I wanted. It's a bit annoying but nothing that I cound'nt handle. 10/10

Reviewed on Apr 06, 2020

Provavelmente a melhor coisa que já joguei na vida.

Reviewed on Apr 03, 2020

A great game with some small issues. mainly weapon durability and the shrines.

Reviewed on Mar 24, 2020

Easily one of the best games I have ever played and a great 3D Zelda entry. This is the first game where cooking was actually beneficial. Only request would be larger dungeons like those in Ocarina of Time, though the small shrines were fun.

Reviewed on Feb 17, 2020

a game that it did not feel Nintendo was capable of making

Reviewed on Feb 05, 2020

A masterpiece! I consider this my comfort game, one I know I can go back into at any time and just relax. from the gorgeous scenery to the interesting characters and villages they inhabit... this game is a world-building wet-dream! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is fine with a tough game that has a large amount of content to unravel.

Reviewed on Jan 06, 2020

A Masterpiece

Reviewed on Jan 05, 2020

Breath of the Wild was a step in the right direction for the Zelda series. It needed something new, and this game does All it’s new features very well.

Reviewed on Jan 02, 2020

some ideas here can make a masterpiece and i hope they will

Reviewed on Jan 02, 2020

10/10 - Masterpiece
CPT: 205 h
BTR: The Trial of the Sword DLC; The Champion's Ballad DLC

Reviewed on Dec 01, 2019

For me it's like, BotW's dungeons aren't as good as other Zelda dungeons (and I'm long tired of Zelda dungeons), combat's not as good as Soulsborne's, monsters aren't as fun to hunt or fight as Monster Hunter's, riding across the big ruined countryside lacks the emotional weight of the same exact thing in Shadow of the Colossus (though BotW's terrain climbing is better), narrative rewards for exploration don't compare to Morrowind's, and bokoblin base raids sure as hell don't hold a candle up to Far Cry's. Doesn't help to have played it pretty close on the heels of Witcher 3, whose world I found way more gratifying to nook-and-cranny.

On the other hand it's a grab bag of features from a bunch of my favorite games, so even if it's a weaker version of all those features it's still got some scale appeal. I did enjoy a lot of the shrine puzzles. I'm hopeful the sequel will Majora's Mask the hell out of it and draw me in more with the story and character stuff.

The biggest chunk of fun I got out of BotW was watching all the crazy shit the people who love it get up to on streams and videos.

Reviewed on Dec 01, 2019

This is one of the few games I could tell as I was playing that it was one of the best video games I had ever played.

Reviewed on Dec 01, 2019

A masterclass in game design, one of those games where if someone says they didnt like it I reject all of their game opinions, sorry. My favorite game of all time that just does so many things right. I guess as someone who never thought zelda dungeons were that fun, have shorter dungeons with fun physics puzzles fit me better, but hey still greatest game of all time anyways.

Reviewed on Nov 12, 2019

Gonna get the grievances out the way first. Game gets monotonous the longer it goes on due to lack of enemy variety, shallow combat, and the lack of diverse and worthwhile weapon/item drops found throughout the world. Too much time spent navigating through menus. Story is disappointing; voice acting is bad. Performance is ass. That being said, the world itself and exploring it is amazing, especially the first few hours. Its not better than TW3 in all areas, just the important ones

Reviewed on Sep 05, 2019

Only Zelda game I've played and it's good

Reviewed on May 06, 2019

Juego piola pero largo, y al chile no le veo razon para volverlo a jugar

Reviewed on Dec 06, 2018