16 s over 8 Reviews

I've never played a warriors title besides a few minutes of Fire Emblem and Hyrule warriors but going into this I expected something along the lines of that with the flare of Persona 5. What I got was more akin to an action RPG equivalent of Persona 5. All the elemental strengths and weaknesses are in, all out attacks, Show time from Persona 5 Royal, even an RPG menu for when you summon your Persona for a skill. The combat was a ton of fun, and had a lot more depth than I expected, it really just was an action RPG of Persona 5. The game's great and runs well on Switch with a few framerate drops in high action scenes. The biggest performance issue I noticed was the loading, it borders on unbearable at times but from what I'm aware it doesn't load well on PS4 either, all that aside it's the same dungeon crawling from Persona 5, only now instead of entering a battle with turn based combat a tiny arena pops up and you use your melee/ranged weapons along with your Persona skills to defeat groups of enemies. You can still take and fuse personas in the velvet room and create stronger personas to fight with.

The day to day calendar gameplay tries hard to be like that in Persona 5 with shopping and optional side content with your friends, but days only progress with dungeon completion. Instead of Social Links/Confidants you raise your group Band rating by fighting in the Jails and spending time in optional situations with the group or individuals, using the points you get from leveling your Band to enhance combat skills. You can also discover optional requests to complete in the metaverse to get better weapons, more shop options, better persona fusions/skill cards, and of course Band XP. All in all the day to day gameplay and the story elements really don't hold a candle to Persona 5, but it's serviceable and you get some really fun character interactions if that's what you're looking for. All in all the combat and jail exploration is the best part of the game, and with each character having different movesets and abillities its a ton of fun to play.

Did I spend $120 bucks to buy this game off the Japan e'Shop? Yes I did. Was it worth it? Yeah I'd say so. Play it if you loved Persona 5, if you haven't played Persona 5 the story and scenarios likely won't stand on their own. Do with this information what you will, I loved it, probably more with playing than Royal is.

Reviewed on Mar 13, 2020

a star for every character actually worth buying, guh-huh

Reviewed on Jan 16, 2020

When Hideo Kojima wrote the Bible, he took this as inspiration so that he could attempt to reconnect America in the way Family Guy Video Game! did back in 2006. It's truly ahead of it's time and is more influential than Mario 64. It's flawless in every way, and it's a once in a life time experience.

Reviewed on Nov 20, 2019

In a move that I wouldn't have seen coming, Playtonic Games took a look back after the fairly mixed response and various problems that the original Yooka-Laylee faced, instead of making a direct sequel however, they took a step about 4 years back from Banjo-Kazooie, and took a look at what made Rare's 2D Donkey Kong Country series so memorable and well received, and looked forward to the improvements made by Retro Studio's fantastic Returns series. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair shows that Playtonic is capable of fantastic projects.

Starting the game you're dropped immediately into Capital B's Impossible Lair, and you're given a little exposition about whats going on. Capital B took all the Bees from the Royal Stingdom, and Queen PheBee is upset about it, arming Yooka and Laylee with the remainder of her Bees she sends you into the Impossible Lair to confront Capital B. After a short and sweet boss fight, Capital B takes any Bees you may have left after the fight, and you're thrown into the gauntlet that is the impossible lair. You probably won't beat it on your first try. it's a tightly designed gauntlet that rivals Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze's "K" temple levels, but about quadruple the length. No checkpoints, and no way to gain hits back. Once you inevitably die, you're pulled from the Impossible Lair and given a couple options, you can either go back in and keep throwing your head against the wall like some kind of masochist, or you can go and find the 48 Bee-ttalion's scattered accross the overworld, and 20 (really 40) tightly designed platforming levels. Every Bee you collect gives you 1 extra hit in the impossible lair, giving you a maximum of 50 hits before you have to restart the Lair all over again. That might seem like a lot, but you'd be surprised at how quickly you start losing bees.

Each of the 20 book levels have distinct theming and interesting gimmicks or mechanics that make them memorable. Every setpiece is grounded in "reality", in that nothing quite feels like it's just floating or it exists because its a video game. Checkpoints are living things with googly eyes, as are the Laylee Bells that call Laylee back to Yooka after you lose her, and overall the game oozes the same charm that Rare (and now Playtonic) are known for. Every level is complimented by a music track from David Wise, Matt Griffen, and Dan Murdoch, and both Matt and Dan do just as good a job capturing mood and atmosphere as the great David Wise. Every level isn't just lovely to look at and listen to either, they all feel tightly designed and are clearly designed so that casual players and speedrunners alike can get the most out of the game. Each level you complete will give you a Bee to help you progress in the Impossible Lair, and defeat Capital B.

The overworld of Impossible Lair takes a different approach to a 2D platformer overworld, instead of being a glorified level selection menu, it's a more open ended game world, where you can collect other items such as Tonic to make the book levels easier (or harder if you're a masochist and want more Quills). solve puzzles, and tackle the levels in just about any order you want. Collecting T.W.I.T coins in each book world and giving them to Trowzer will force him to lower his paywall, and open up more of the game world for you to explore. Another exciting feature of the overworld is the puzzles, each level actually has 2 sides, the regular level, and a remixed side which feels like a completely different level in a lot of ways. Water levels getting frozen over, a factory losing power, or a running away from a buzzsaw as a form of an autoscroller. Each "Bee side" (heh, get it?) rewards you with an additional Bee bringing the total up to 40, along with 4 Bees that are collected by traversing the overworld, and another 4 that are unlocked by finding the secret exists hidden in each level. Yooka-Laylee and the impossible lair is full of things to collect and is very replayable due to the immense customization options available to the player.

Playtonic really hit it out of the park with this game, even without getting into the knitty gritty of how all the details and atmosphere make the game great, it's just a joy to play. It's just a solid 2D platformer, and rises above other indie 2D platformers as something remarkable. Bottom line is, if you like the Donkey Kong Country series, you'll love this too. It feels almost like an unofficial Donkey Kong Country 6, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend everyone giving it a go, and this game shows that Playtonic is just getting started, and that they have a bright future ahead of them.

Reviewed on Oct 16, 2019

I had no intentions of playing this game, I thought it was just going to be a lot of cinematics with little to no meaningful gameplay, and I was wrong. It's a game with some above average but not fantastic gameplay and an interesting story that keeps you on edge to the end. As far as gameplay's concerned I'm reminded of Half Life 1 and 2, in that there's really only one way forward but the game does the best it can masking that fact. There's a lot of repetitive and downright disrespectful puzzles that a walnut could solve, but the real meat and potato's is the stealth/shooting sections. You can really tackle them in any way you want with few exceptions, I'm sure more skilled players could probably beat the entire game without having to waste rounds, or you could rambo your way through the entire game, I sorta played both ways depending on the location and it was fine, the gameplay was serviceable but fun, especially the second half of the game. The story really manages to start off interesting and ramp up to a bittersweet climax. Naughty Dog also put tons of lore in the form of collectible papers or books that you can read through to get a feel of the world and the people who inhabited it. It's an interesting game and it's certainly worth a playthrough at least once just to see what its about.

Reviewed on Oct 15, 2019

There's a lot I could talk about with this game, how the game's various systems constantly feed back into each other, how well written the characters are, the fantastic presentation, etc. I could talk about any of those things, but this game made me feel something, and it made me want to get out of this slump in my life. It was just at the right place and the right time for this game to fall into my hands. Persona 5 is great. It's mechanically solid, visually fantastic, clever, funny, and well written, but above all that it's important to me, and it's a game I think everyone should play, at least once.

Reviewed on Jul 22, 2019

How do you take a perfect game and somehow much it better? You just kinda do. Banjo-Tooie has higher highs than Banjo-Kazooie with lower lows to compensate, while maybe having more noticeable shortcomings than the previous title, Tooie manages to impress by feeling like a real adventure. The Metroid-vania style world design helps make every world feel like part of a larger world that Banjo and Kazooie really get to dig deep in. For me exploring Glitter Gulch Mine and then directly going to Witchy World cemented the game in my mind as better than the predecessor. Tooie is a much more complex game than Kazooie but manages to build on the concepts you learned from the prior. It honestly just feels like a more robust and beefier Banjo-Kazooie. Sure there's a few things from Tooie that aren't fun. Like the Dinosaur Family Jiggy, or Canary Mary's Race, but none of those things detract enough from the overall experience to make me love the game less. Tooie is my favorite, and I adore it. If you loved Kazooie, you'll probably love this. If you haven't played Kazooie, what's wrong with you? Play Banjo-Kazooie, and then play Tooie.

Reviewed on Jun 30, 2019

I've played this game probably 25-30 times over the 6 years I've owned Banjo-Kazooie. I own it on both 360 and N64 but for all intents and purposes either version is great. The level design stands the test of time for some of the greatest in video games, the soundtrack is the soundtrack where every single song is "the best one" and tighter than my grip on my penis when I play this game, all garnished with charming characters and a unique brand of humor, Banjo-Kazooie easily stands the test of time as one of the greatest games ever made. From Gruntilda antagonizing the player completely in rhyme, to the constant bickering of Kazooie and Bottles, and lest we forget the goofy character voices. Banjo-Kazooie is one of the stupid funniest games you'll ever play, whether on 360, Xbox One, or the N64, you're guaranteed to have a damn good time.

Reviewed on Jun 30, 2019