super cute aesthetic that was basically what i really wanted from INFRA anyway, but the actual platforming was a little -- the actual platforming was a little pede--- the platforming was a little PEDESTR --

looked a 60 hour game in the face and i blinked first

Richocheting between two scales back and forth is pretty fun, it doesn't feel super punishing, but also i got like half way through and was pleasantly full and put it down.

kinda fun, good nostalgia blast, looks beautiful when its not empty. got stuck, looked up guides, half the guides weren't helpful or were yelling at me to stop my adblock so i just stopped playing and did something else, a true modern experience

i kind of like the mechanic of laying thread down, but the puzzles are hard (thanks for the hint options!) and the idea of doing like.... 100? 200? of these back to back makes me want to put the game down for a very long time.

i have GOT to stop setting myself up with high expectations for arcade shooters.

like, yes, it's good, it's fun, the way you unlock additional continues by getting high scores is neat, the fact that replaying levels to get more weapons on level select is neat, and it does that "vague worldbuilding in interstitials" stuff pretty ok, and also i'm just not good enough or dedicated enough to see the endgame, so.

as an official dwarf fortress liker, it's either:
1) dwarf fortress is either the perfect game for me and i just shouldn't even look for replacements because it has the perfect amount of opt-in complexity and opt-in risk/reward
2) i'm old and i only really have space in my head for one game at a time with an incredibly complicated production tree system.

i don't know. i get why the research system exists, and: it feels overly gated. i don't know how gasses propagate. i looked up how plumbing worked and realized i was going to be playing this game side by side with a guide. is that fulfilling? who can say. what is fulfillment. what is desire.

this got a lot of nods in GOTY awards but after spending a few hours with it i just can not be assed. i've played enough action-rpgs and watched enough anime to see where this is going.

I think it's got the bones of horror down - the puke-tinge of sky, the slow tension of a decrepit elevator descending and not being quite sure what's inside, the understandable unease of someone silently walking inside your apartment. i even appreciate it pulled the sudden jump cuts from gravity bone / 30 flights of loving. i just think it needed a slightly stronger editing hand, especially in the car scenes (and i mean, i get it - it was a late-night art bell call in show, but also: damn, it went on a long time).

also, i'm not entirely sure i understood what happened, plot-wise.

i really appreciated the visual aesthetic and the soundtrack, i really appreciated the slow burn of the story that gets told. i really appreciated that this is first and foremost a game about photography, about lining up a great photo.

i did not appreciate the controls, i did not appreciate the opaque objectives, i did not appreciate the time pressure, and let's be honest even though i'm the biggest doomer of them all, i'm gonna go ahead and say it: i don't think the game spoke to me along those lines (except for the very last line of the game) nearly as strongly as it did some other people. i spent more time hunting down "the word boomer" or "a kiwi" than i did coming to terms with being "the last generation" (who, let's be real, seemed to be having plenty of dance parties)

I love vaporwave and I love the world building. I did not love the total lack of a map which had me looking up how to enter several key locations or the fact that the soundtrack - which I started off loving - wore a hole in my brain. I mostly liked the investigations but upon reading some stuff after finishing discovered I missed a whole ass plot thread because I missed a pile of dirt, and that about sums up my problem with the genre as a whole. Basically a super cool and stylish game marred by minor-to-moderate mechanical mishaps.

I had fun vacuuming up sludge and restoring the world to a vibrant state. I thought the story was fairly well told and the voice acting was excellent. I think it earned its cliches, including an elevator level fraught with emotional tension and a monochrome walking level at half speed. I loved the music and thought it looked gorgeous.

That said, it didn't really go above and beyond. I wish there was more stuff to scan or more upgrades to get. Yet it knew not to overstay its welcome, so.... Good! Fine! I'd recommend playing it as a comfort game and not expecting to have your mind blown!

oh no!!! i genuinely wish i was able to connect with this gorgeous, original, thoughtful game. but i had a moment of dread when i missed a jump and lost my compass and spent 20 minutes totally lost. then another moment when i saw a hollow log and my character said "what a good place to hide from a big animal". finally i found a tiger lurking around a corner and he chased me and it turns out this chill atmospheric exploration game is actually very difficult to navigate, very slow, and has mandatory chase sequences. i can't do it, i'm sorry.

It's a nice refinement on The Islander, in that it removes the tedious collecting mechanics from the first game. That said, I really like a little more interdependencies or supply chain-type problems in my city builders, and this is a lot more free-form. Create a building, get the resource, wait for the timer to go so you can have enough money to repeat and unlock the next tier. It's... fine.