Northgard is a strategy game based on Norse mythology in which you control a clan of Vikings vying for the control of a mysterious newfound continent.
- Build your settlement on the newly discovered continent of Northgard
- Assign your vikings to various jobs (Farmer, Warrior, Sailor, Loremaster...)
- Manage your resources carefully and survive harsh winters and vicious foes
- Expand and discover new territory with unique strategic opportunities
- Achieve different victory conditions (Conquest, Fame, Lore, Trading...)
- Play against your friends or against an AI with different difficulty levels and personalities
- Enjoy dedicated servers and grind the ranks to reach the final Norse God rank!
Reviews View More
People call this a 4X game too which is kind of true. Obviously it can't afflict you with a case of "one more turn" when it's played in real time, but the upside is that you can complete a game within a single hour, and that's a decent trade-off.
I would say the way that the Viking theme is characterized is one of its weakest aspects, but the main campaign is fun nonetheless. I found the writing to be a bit dull, but it's elevated by some good voice acting.
As for presentation, I don't particularly like the aesthetics of the game because they look a tad generic. I could say the same about the music and sound effects, which is kind of bad for an RTS which tend to have very memorable voice lines and such. For as good as the voice acting is in the campaign, units during skirmishes communicate exclusively through grunts.
Apart from multiplayer there are skirmishes against the AI and conquest mode which is generally harder and adds some random elements to keep things fresh. I think that's great for singleplayer content.
Overall, I'm left with positive feelings about Northgard. To me, it's not the most memorable game, but it's fairly original and quite fun nonetheless.